August 29, 2008

Old School Friday: Erykah Badu

This week's theme for Old School Friday is neo-soul. Neo-soul is a musical genre that fuses contemporary R&B and 1970s-style soul with elements of hip-hop. As its name (new-soul) implies, Neo-Soul music is essentially modern-day soul music, with contemporary attitudes and sensibilities. It differs from contemporary R&B in that it's obviously more soulful, and it also tends to have deeper messages and meanings than R&B.

I look forward to traveling cyberspace to see what other artists are featured this week. I honed in on Erykah Badu. I imagine Erykah Badu has an entire wing of the Neo-Soul Hall of Fame!


Call Tyrone




Other Side of the Game



7 comments:

clnmike said...

Nice pick Badu is the poster child for Neo Soul.

Blackgirl On Mars said...

I saw Erykah when she was here in Copenhagen in June--she inspired and blew me away.
Here's my tribute to her:
http://blackgirlonmars.blogspot.com/2008/06/shine-sister-shine-erykah-badu-shines.html

Quick said...

got to love the afro on Erykah Badu! Great pick

ShAé - ShAé said...

Ms. Badu was a shoe-in for neo-soul. Happy OSF.

Please remember to update your link to reflect my new domain: www.heyshae.com/blog.

Thanks. Enjoy your weekend.

teamowens313 said...

Hey Villager.

Ever since "Tyrone" I've dug the girl. Plus she's got a great stage persona.

Good choice!

MsMarvalus said...

Erykah is the Queen, no doubt about that...

Villager said...

All - Thank you for visiting with me today. I apologize for the blog mish-mash earlier in the day. It's been fixed now...