July 27, 2008

A Tandem Ride With God

I used to think of God as my observer, my judge, keeping track of the things I did wrong, so as to know whether I merited heaven or hell when I die. He was out there, sort of like a president. I recognized His picture when I saw it, but I didn't really know Him.

But later on, when I met Jesus, it seemed as though life was rather like a bike, but it was a tandem bike, and I noticed that Jesus was in the back helping me pedal. I didn't know just when it was He suggested we change, but life has not been the same since I took the back-seat to Jesus, my Lord. He makes life exciting. When I had control, I thought I knew the way. It was rather boring, but predictable. It was the shortest distance between two points.

But when He took the lead, He knew delightful long cuts, up mountains, and through rocky places and at break-through speeds; it was all I could do to hang on! Even though it often looked like madness, He said, "Pedal!" I was worried and anxious and asked, "Where are you taking me?" He laughed and didn't answer and I started to learn to trust. I forgot my boring life and entered into adventure. And when I'd say, "I'm scared", He'd lean back and touch my hand.

He took me to people with gifts that I needed, gifts of healing, acceptance and joy. They gave me their gifts to take on my journey, our journey, my Lord's and mine. And we were off again. He said, "Give the gifts away; they're extra baggage, too much weight." So I did, to the people we met, and I found in giving I received, and still our burden was light.

I did not trust Him, at first, in control of my life. I thought He'd wreck it, but He knows bike secrets, knows how to make it bend to take sharp corners, jump to clear high rocks, fly to shorten scary passages. And I am learning to shut up and pedal in the strangest places, and I'm beginning to enjoy the view and the cool breeze on my face with my delightful constant companion, Jesus.

And when I'm sure I just can't do any more, He just smiles and says... "Pedal."

7 comments:

Clement Nthambazale Nyirenda. said...

I have really enjoyed this post.Let Jesus continue leading you.He is all we need in this world.

Marvalus said...

This was a beautiful post...and so true!

Peace and blessings to you on this day, and every day...

msladyDeborah said...

Let all souls say Amen!

What a nice post to read during my coffee hour! It is simply beautiful. Thanks for serving up some soul food.

SjP said...

What a wonderful and inspiring analogy.

I thought it fitting today to offer a prayer for Darfur as my Sunday Inspirations post.

God Bless

Ann Brock said...

Great post, if only we could live life backward we could see all the mistakes.

Big Mama said...

Villager,
Thanks so much for this post.
I'm a witness...the ride is so much more enjoyable with Jesus on thr front seat!
I just shared it with several others.
Iya

Unknown said...

All - thank you for taking time to visit my entry in Sojourner's weekly meme (Sunday Inspirations). I hope you'll visit some of the others that are participating ... and if you are a blogger, then I hope you will consider participating yourself next Sunday!