April 4, 2008

Alice Walker Endorses Barack Obama

Alice Walker wrote,


I am a supporter of Obama because I believe he is the right person to lead the country at this time. He offers a rare opportunity for the country and the world to start over, and to do better. It is a deep sadness to me that many of my feminist white women friends cannot see him. Cannot see what he carries in his being. Cannot hear the fresh choices toward Movement he offers. That they can believe that millions of Americans -- Black, white, yellow, red and brown -- choose Obama over Clinton only because he is a man, and Black, feels tragic to me.


Click here for the full endorsement-essay written by Ms. Walker.

3 comments:

Stephen A. Bess said...

I haven't heard Ms. Walker speak out in recent years. This is a good thing.

Unknown said...

Stephen - Hopefully, her words will continue the momentum for Barack Obama over the coming weeks. For now, I'm grateful that her words allowed you to share your village voice with us here on this blog!

Unknown said...

I wonder if Alice Walker has been invited to the White House yet?