May 30, 2010

GOP Senators Are the Only Obstacle to Repeal of 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy

The effort to repeal the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy made some positive movement this week. The full House of Representatives and the Armed Services Committee in the Senate voted to repeal "Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

Villagers may recall that President Obama promised in his State of the Union address to end the law that denies gays and lesbians the right to serve their country. Now, the Obama administration is closer than ever to making good on that promise.

The full Senate will soon start its debate on repeal. But some Republicans are digging in their heels. John McCain continued to flip-flop on the DADT issue when he said, "I'll do everything in my power" to block a vote. And Mississippi Senator Roger Wicker called the repeal bill "a major mistake" -- announcing that the GOP plans to filibuster.

The 'just say No' policy of the Republican Party continues. The GOP never seems to have anything positive to offer on any national issue. They simply say 'No' to anything that the Obama administration is trying to do.

I encourage all villagers to sign an online petition indicating your interest in defeating those who'd stand in the way of history. Show the US Senate that villagers -- in every state -- overwhelmingly support repeal.

2 comments:

msladyDeborah said...

I already signed the petition. But it is time for this particular ban to be lifted. Good looking out!

Unknown said...

Lady D - I appreciate you supporting this online petition. Reading your note made me realize that I don't read Pam's House Blend as much as I used to when I was doing the monthly Top Black Blogs posts.

I need to get out in cyberpace more often and visit my Black blogger colleagues!