October 9, 2015

Believe in Ohio: Mentoring Matters ... Shavon's Story

We need mentors. Dr. Julian Earls shares his thoughts on the mentor process. Our hope is that you will find a way to become a mentor for a young person in the state of Ohio.



We are trying to reach 100 mentors in Cincinnati, Cleveland and Columbus. We truly need your help to find 100 mentors over these 100 days. Reply to this message over visit our mentor sign-up sheet if you want to be part of the solution for delivering on this STEM-based business plan competition in urban areas of Ohio.

I first met my mentor when I was in his math class at Tri-C. He has made a big impact on me both academically and personally. He gave me opportunities not only in the STEM field, but helped me work towards by career goal. He also gave me the chance to meet professionals in STEM field so I can learn from them. He guides me through school to make sure I stay on top of my schoolwork.

He is very honest, whether you like it or not. He got to know me and truly understand me. Whenever I don’t know something he is the first person I contact. If only words can express how truly thankful I am to have worked with him.

Shavon Castro, Student
Cuyhoga Community College
Cleveland, OH


Shavon’s story is why we need mentors. The Urban STEM Mentoring Network is designed to assist high school students for only 1 hour per month. Click on http://www.believeinohio.org/mentor-signup/ to assist the Shavon’s in our community.

No comments: