July 17, 2012

Village Tips: Marketing Your Small Business

I have owned my own consulting service since July 2002. The economic tsunami that hit America over the past couple of years provided me with many anxious moments as I tried to match my cash inflow with my expenses. I don't have much margin for extravagant marketing items to promote my business. Here are some tips that I've used that you may find helpful as you market your small business.
  1. Deliver presentations or speeches - There are many organizations that need educational, entertaining, interesting or motivational speakers to talk with their members at monthly program meetings, annual conferences or special events. Are you making yourself available to be a presenter for these groups?
  2. Network - Make yourself available in the real world (not just social media outlets) to meet with your accountant, banker, colleagues, other professionals and even your competition. Attend professional meetings whenever possible. Get engaged in social events with your current or potential clients to have fun together.
  3. Join Organizations - It is important to get the word out about your business. Joining organizations allows you to become knowledgeable about other professions that may lead to new clients ... and it also helps you stay well-rounded and informed.
  4. Teach a Class - Many community colleges or vocational-technical schools in your area seek working professionals that can provide real-world experience to their students. These are opportunities to educate potential clients, build skills, offer hands-on experience or provide information. Use the soft sell during these classes or workshops to promote your business with brochures or business cards.
  5. Accept Pro-Bono Work - Providing work for clients who cannot afford your services is a way to give back to society and also to market yourself.
I hope that these small business tips are helpful to you. Feel free to contact me by email or phone (513.284-4968) if you would like to discuss additional ways to market your small business.

In the meantime, I will continue to share these Village Tips on a semi-regular basis!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice blog and thanks for sharing these great tips. In additions you can also promote your small business with the help of customized water bottle label. Label contains your business logo or other details.