April 20, 2014

Happy Birthday: Luther Vandross (1951-2005)

Luther Vandross was born on this date 1951. I imagine that most villagers know about the legacy of this brother.

I remember when I first heard Luther's song Never Too Much. I played that song over and over to learn the lyrics. This was before you could go on the Internet and print out the lyrics like we do today. My goal was to repeat the lyrics to my first wife as a personal Valentines Day celebration.




Me and some of my buddies once took a limousine from Palm Springs to San Diego to attend a Vandross concert. I remember being amazed at how much his live concert sounded exactly like his albums. Do you remember the flawless bridge that he made between If Only For One Night and Creepin'?


Towards the end of his life he recorded a song that will always be one of my all-time favorites ... Dance With My Father.


Villagers, what is your favorite Luther Vandross memory or song?

8 comments:

stan said...

i have a cd of his songs performed by other artistes. sad parting.

LISA VAZQUEZ said...

Hello there!

I loooove Luther (who was called Ronnie by friends and family). He took his artistry of song to heights that no one could even imitate! I thought it was wonderful that Patti LaBelle was his "play" sister and that she called his mother "mom".

Luther's song, "Dance With My Father" touched his mother deeply, she said. All of us who have had wonderful fathers in our lives have been moved every time we hear it.

Peace, blessings and DUNAMIS!
Lisa

Unknown said...

Stan - What is your favorite Luther song?

Lisa - Thank you for sharing those personal insights. I didn't know the stuff you shared. What is your favorite Luther song?

wisdomteachesme said...

Hello villager!
i truly miss luther!
i own all of his albums even back to the days of Change!
lol
many of his are favorites of mine--esp his christmas songs.
i do love the Power Of Love!

God surely loves us by giving us such talent as luther had. all Original! no copies! lol

Unknown said...

WTM - I was talking with my 11-year old daughter about the songs on her iPod. I asked if she had any Luther Vandross songs in the mix. She didn't know who he was (sigh). She then informed me that her Daddy likes old school ... not her! I'm now trying to figure out how to get Dance with my Father on her iPod when she's not lookin'!

Unknown said...

Luther Vandross BEST Songs Video: CLICK TO WATCH

Unknown said...

Maky Dol - What is YOUR favorite Luther song?

MacBernard said...

Happy Birthday LUTHER!!!! Fans can enjoy exclusive photos and purchase wall prints of Luther performing LIVE!
Visit: http://bit.ly/J93drr