July 4, 2014

National Anthem Stylings of Marvin Gaye and Whitney Houston

Villagers, we had cause to be perturbed about Independence Day back in the day.

And we should be proud that Lift Every Voice and Sing is a remarkable anthem for African Americans.

However, there really isn't any reason to substitute one anthem for the other ... especially on this special day -- July 4, 2014. Today is our nation's 238th birthday!

Truth to tell, I'm proud of my country for the growth that has occurred since I was born over half-century ago. In fact, there are times when I get the chills listening to the National Anthem. Two times that are seared into my memory occurred in 1983 (Marvin Gaye) and 1991 (Whitney Houston).





National Anthem - USA-Whitney Houston (Star... by EINSTEINXP


If you don't know, you better ask somebody!

11 comments:

Ann Brock said...

Your choices are right on. Whitney Houston version was awesome.

Marvalus said...

That is awesome! Marvin Gaye's version was phenomenal...he truly made it a "groove"...did you hear the people in the audience?!

Whitney's version is the best...her at her prime: you couldn't touch her.

Have a safe and happy holiday weekend!

Unknown said...

Hey Villager!!
Great Minds for OSF!
Two awesome picks! I just love Ms Whitney's rendition!
Happy 4th & Happy OSF!

Woozie said...

Whitney's version is the best..

Truth, she could really belt out a song.

Also of note is Ray Charles' America the Beautiful.

LISA VAZQUEZ said...

Hey Villager!!

This is AMAZING!! I have that same video displayed on my blog too!!! It is still my all-time Fourth of July favorite that gets dusted off each holiday! {thumbs up}

Indeed...great minds think alike...I had not thought of the Whitney Houston rendition though!

That is a good one too!

Peace, blessings and DUNAMIS!
Lisa

msladyDeborah said...

Hotep Villager!

Great Choices for this meme.

I have always loved Marvin's version of this song.

Whitney's is good too.

Anonymous said...

Villager!

Man, these were truly two of the most amazing renditions of the National Anthem ever, to be sure. And as a fellow member of the five decades and above club, I too can honestly say I'm proud to see - and to have to acknowledge - so much change that really has happened even during my lifetime.

Two other "bad" national anthem renditions, if I may:

1)Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock
2)Jose Feliciano

Unknown said...

All - Asante sana for the feedback on this week's OSF meme. I agree that Whitney was at the top of her game at the time of her rendition. It is truly a shame what became of her in later years. I guess the same can be said of Marvin Gaye as he was dead before the next year's All-Star game...

Woozie & Keith - Thanx for the referrals to the other songs. I'll need to check 'em out. In the meantime, you should both consider joining this OSF meme each Friday (hint, hint)!

Monica Roberts said...

Villager,
I took your post and expanded it a bit. The only one that was on my list that I haven't found video for yet was Stevie Wonder's all harmonica rendition of it.

Unknown said...

Monica - I'm glad that I inspired such a post from another powerful blogger. As an aside, I invite you to join the Old School Friday meme if you have time or inclination...

AfricanAmericanPundit said...

Villager, NICE....