January 21, 2011

Old School Friday * Rick James

The theme for this week's Old School Friday meme is It's Cold Outside. I can relate to that theme ... especially today. The entire city of Cincinnati shut down today as a result of a snowstorm. I stayed in the crib with my centralized heat for the entire day! However, I couldn't really come up with a non-Christmas song that reflects the temperature outside. So, I went in a different direction.






How many of you remember Rick James and his tribute to a cold-blooded woman? Evidently, Rick James wrote the song in memory of his former girlfriend Linda Blair ... famous for her role in the Exorcist movie.

Dave Chapelle used the song's title in his recurring comedy sketch about Rick James.




8 comments:

Unknown said...

Rick James being ... Rick James! LOL! Nice interpretation of today's theme!
Never really been a fan of Chapell.

Old School Fridays said...

I remember this song, but I did not know the history behind it, and certainly didn't know he dated the Exorcist girl. Thanks for the history.

LOL, I can't believe you included the clip.

Thanks for joining us this week!

Unknown said...

Regina - I can see why we get along ... I've never actually seen a full episode of the Chappelle comedy show. I came across the clip when I was looking for the Rick James video. Anyhow, I'm glad to be back in the OSF flow again...

Mrs. Grapevine - Glad to share the 411 on the song and I hope that I'll be back every week from this point on!

Hey Shae! said...

This winter has been brutal and even here in GA I can relate to this theme. We are expecting snow YET AGAIN and all I could think of was staying inside and chilling (pun intended). ;-)

CCG said...

One of my favorite Rick james joints!!! Excellent interpretation of the theme.

Unknown said...

Shae and CCGroovy - Thank you both for taking time to visit my blog this week!

Anonymous said...

Hey Y'all - so glad you posted about Rick James, and drew the connection between the Chappelle show and the actuality. They're doing a really good job at his social net sites painting a fuller picture of Rick's body of work to. He's @rickjames on Twitter, and fb.com/rickjames at facebook, if you were curious...

Unknown said...

Laxcookie - I'm going to check out your twitter and facebook link. Thanx for sharing!