April 9, 2007

5 More Blogs That Make Me Think


It hasn't been a full three months yet since my first blog post. It is wonderful to have an outlet such as this to share insights and thoughts on the issues of the day. My hope is that the Electronic Village becomes a daily destination for others in cyberspace interested in talking about Black culture, family, information technology, science fiction, small business development or any number of other topics. I ask that you imagine yourself sitting in the shade under our baobob tree ... enjoying libations and good company of other villagers ... sharing your comments, insights and thoughts.

We are pleased that our imagery appeals to a growing number of visiting villagers. One of the first people to visit with us was Jim Walton (Black in Business). Jim named the Electronic Village as one of the five blogs that make him think. Not Fearing Change did the same thing last month. It is humbling that both of these experienced bloggers feel we deserve The Thinking Blogger Award. My responsibility is to return the favor. I must abide by the rules of this award and name five blogs that make me think.

The first 5 blogs that make me think are still going strong.

Here are 5 more:
  1. African American ~Black~ Opinion - This is actually a repeat from last time. However, I am even more intriqued by the direction that Bro. Rock is taking his blog. He is providing a portal for other bloggers in the Afrosphere to make their voices heard. This blog is one that I read daily. You may want to check 'em out regularly as well.
  2. the field negro - I absolutely love the House Negro of the Day and Movie of the Day features that field announces every day. He recently shared his thoughts on 'patio negros' that caused some introspection on my part. I'm probably a 'patio negro' at this stage of my life. Come correct to the field negro ... or don't come at all. However, if your self-esteem is high, then I recommend the field negro blog to anyone interested in candor about race relations issues in our country.
  3. Fort Wayne African American Independent Woman - credo is the creative genius behind this blog focused on local, regional, and national politics, race relations, community affairs, economic development for small businesses. She is generous in her comments here on the Electronic Village. She was the first to introduce me to the concept of the Afro-Spear. Her blog consistently gives me reasons to sit back and ponder the state of things.
  4. The 'D' Spot - Keith is one of the best writers that I've seen in the blogosphere. He uses words to paint a picture. He takes the time to look at issues from a variety of perspectives in a humorous manner. The 'D' Spot focuses on issues related to Detroit, however, anyone that lives in any big city in America will find posts on this blog that resonate with them.
  5. Paula Mooney - Paula has a self-titled blog that moves from topic to topic. Quite a few of her posts are about entertainment issues. However, I come back to her blog most of the time to pick up tips on how to monetize my blog. She has been very candid about the money she's earned from blogging. I find her tips easier to understand than many of the other power bloggers out there. Anyhow, I do recommend Paula's blog for any of us newbie bloggers that think we want to get some nickels and dimes back from our online efforts.
These are five more blogs that make me think. Obviously, there are dozens of other blogs and bloggers out there that we enjoy here in da Village. Many of the ones that we enjoy are included in our Afrosphere, Cool and Nubian blogrolls over in the left-hand navigation bar. However, the rules of this meme limit me to handing out the award to only five blogs. It is now the responsibility of these five villagers to write a post with links to 5 blogs that make them think.

Have you visited any of the five blogs listed above? Do you have any comments on them that you would like to share?

13 comments:

credo said...

Thanks villagers, for including me in your list of blogs. I love what you have to say on your blog and the packaging of it on the blog.

credo said...

Village. the yt is a widget in the blogspot template. I didn't like embedding you tube in my post, so this was solution to that problem.

Plus I found one of the Afrosphere bloggers explaining his position on the Shaquanda Cotton.

Anonymous said...

Villager, great choices and you have hipped me to a couple to visit. I started in mid October of 06 but now I have over 100 post, so I am feeling experienced. I am proud of you and all of the other black bloggers that are doing great stuff.I have also enjoyed relationship with some talented white bloggers that i will post on soon. Peace

Paris David said...

You're too kind, Villager, too kind.

I thank you so much for including me in this list, and thanks for introducing me to some other blogs to read...

And thank you for the nomination!

And always, the link love.

Take care...chat again soon...
Paula

CB said...

Glad to mmet you! I write in spanish, perfectly write and speak in english. Anyway I am so happy to read your words.
Peace to you.

Unknown said...

credo & Paula - You both have blogs that met the criteria -- blogs that make me think! I appreciate your support of our evolving village as well.

JD - thanx again for nominating our Electronic Village as for the THINKING BLOGGER AWARD. One of the most difficult things is to limit my time in the Afrosphere! I gotta focus on billable hours for my consulting bidness as well! Anyhow, I'm glad that you think well of our growing village. I'm not at the 100 blog milestone yet. I look forward to getting there!

cb GRACIAS!

Anonymous said...

Villager,

All I can say is thank you so much. Your recognition and appreciation for what we're trying to do means a whole lot, and your site has been a serious inspiration.

Take care.

Anonymous said...

All well deserved nominations! Congrats to all of the blogs

Unknown said...

Latimer - Merci beaucoup!

Keith - You earned it my brother. The best thing about this meme [I just like using that word with you now!] is that it gave you a chance to tout five of your own. I visited some new villages today as a result of your post!

peace, Villager

AAPP said...

Village, through our collective partnership with progressive african american bloggers we are taking in to the next level. Thanks for your continued support and encouragement.

We collectively have more to come.

Peace

aka
AA Opinion

Unknown said...

AA Opinion - I look forward to seeing the evolution of the Afrosphere. I'm glad that I've learned of it at this juncture of its existence. Congrats on the Thinking Blogger Award!

peace, Villager

Francis Holland said...

This is a great work you're doing here, "taking it to the next level," as was said above.

Today at my blog, on this sixtieth anniversary of Jackie Robinson's first game in Major League Baseball, I published an article entitled "The Enduring Importance of Firsts," making an argument that breaking into new areas that were once off-limits to us is an important part of securing our place in America and establishing ourselves as equals.

I first published this article at DailyKos with the title "Ending the White Male Monopoly of the Presidency," and I was banned from participation at DailyKos a few days later.

Unknown said...

Francis - I went to your blog and read the full post. It is very well documented. I enjoyed it and encourage other villagers to check it out as well.

peace, Villager