December 28, 2012

Old School Friday * René & Angela

René & Angela were an 1980s R&B duo consisting of artists René Moore and Angela Winbush.  Angela met René in 1979, formed the group. The two dated for a brief time in the beginning of their careers.

One of my favorite songs back in the day was Your Smile by René & Angela. This was the first song with Angela singing solo. As it turned out René didn't have the stones to handle Angela's talent. He ended up turning to violence and that was the end of the musical efforts of the career. Unlike Rihanna and Chris Brown ... Angela left René forever.

I always thought that she was singing this song about René when I heard it.  I learned recently that she was thinking about her grandmother as the inspiration for this song.




The proof is in the pudding. I've never heard from Rene Moore since the group split up. However, Angela Winbush broke out in 1987 with a #1 ballad called, "Angel"




Learn more about Angela Winbush here.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Angela's talent is through the roof! She's definitely the real thing! I can't tell you how much I love her low register singing!! I love it when the ladies sing in a deep voice, but can hit the high notes as well!

Where's Toni Braxton at?

Anna Renee

Marvalus said...

Did you see TVOne's Unsung about Angela? it was excellent and gave great insight on her career. I didn't know she wrote as much as she did!

Angel is one of my favorite songs...I still lose myself in it when I hear it on the radio...

Unknown said...

Anna - Toni Braxton was making a living in Las Vegas last I heard. She's also been a great advocate for autism because of the experience she's had with her child.

Marvalus - Yes, my blog post was inspired by seeing that TVOne episode of Unsung. Angela is truly a talented sista ... and I enjoyed listening to her music as I put together my OSF post.

Reggie said...

I used to love me some Rene and Angela.

Unknown said...

Reggie - The OSF meme was a way for bloggers to remember some truly remarkable songs and groups that we don't hear in regular radio rotation. I hope to honor it more in 2013 than I did this year...