March 27, 2012

OURStory: Silent Soldiers

I read a passionate post from the Fort Wayne African American Independent Woman back in April 2007 that discussed the plight of women in the blogosphere. I am very familiar with racism. That is a factor for anyone that is Black in America.

On the other hand, my understanding of the sexism experienced by women, in particular nubian women, is not nearly as informed. I've been blessed in my personal life to be surrounded by powerful Black women that owned their own businesses, practiced medicine, invested in the stock market, served in top-level positions with federal government and so forth. I have seen these Black women overachieve in spite of obstacles they faced because of their gender or race. Like I said ... I'm blessed to have these powerful sisters in my life. I hope that my two daughters draw upon these powerful women as role models as they both grow up.

Most villagers are not aware of the power that exists in our own midst. We may know our ancestors, however, history continually turns into HIS-story ... without much mention of our Black women. Did you know that our Black women were silent soldiers in the Civil Rights movement?
Ella Baker. Septima Poinsette Clark. Fannie Lou Hamer.

They and others risked their lives and worked tirelessly, demanding a social revolution — but history has often overlooked them. They were the women of the civil rights movement.

Though historians now acknowledge that women, particularly African Americans, were pivotal in the critical battles for racial equality, Rosa Parks’ death highlights the fact that she was one of the very few female civil rights figures who are widely known. Most women in the movement played background roles, either by choice or due to bias, since being a women of color meant facing both racism and sexism.
Click here to learn more about women that were overlooked during the Civil Rights movement.

We have to tell OURstory whenever possible. We must define ourselves. The beauty of being a blogger is that you are not censored. I invite you to share some little-known aspects of our story. We are not limited to telling our story in the month of February. We can do it whenever we want.

Anyhow, I would love to hear from other villagers on the powerful women in their lives. We're just sitting around the fire under the baobob tree. Care to share a comment on this post?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Black Women are always at the forefront of social change. They are the moral barometer of our people and they are the motivators of our children. To not include them in any discussion about the history of change for our people would be an injustice to them. Personally speaking I had always been around strong black women. My mom who has always been that little voice in my head guiding me to do what is right.

My Grandmother who was my moral and spiritual mentor and just the stories and wisdom of days gone is enough to share with my children for a lifetime. Its hard to imagine that she died when I was 12.

My sister who died of Breat Cancer taught me that in the face of adveristy you must go on and love and teach with your last breath. She never complain or even missed too much work during her Chemo, she was a warrior. I think have to just look around us for such women because they are all around us.

Paris David said...

I'm so grateful for the power of God working in my life, which outshines any racism, sexism...all isms!

credo said...

I love this post. I was acting the cut up in school. My mother had to take a day off from work. I was proud. My mother was going to tell the school administration a thing or two.

To my surprise, as I sat there smirking, and after the administration told them about my antics, my mother quietly said, ( and I'm paraphrasing here).

My daughter has been raised to act better and do better. It's up to her to make a difference. If she believes the school has nothing else to teach her, she is free to leave.

Oh what a disappointment.

My mother's betrayal.

It was this lesson at that point that my wise mother was instructing me.

It is for me to see the obstacles, overcome them, she had prepared me.

Would I betrayal her and the works of other sistas before me?

My mother made a better life for me to prevent me from experiencing her past. But would not allow me to believe that I wouldn't have some struggles.

In closing, my uncle tells the story about my mother's character, when he served in the war. He would send home two letters. One to his parents hiding the truth of the bad times of being in a war.

The second letter came to my mother, where my uncle was able to release his burdens. This was my mother and brother secret. My mother never told a sole about those letters. It was because her word was her bond.

She was my role model for strength and intregrity. As I read great books and admired great sheroes. I would do a great disservice to not mention the greatest one. The one always in front me, my mom reminding me it is up to you to make a difference

I am my mother's daughter.

Unknown said...

Latimer & Credo - powerful insights. asante sana for taking time to share your comments re: the powerful nubian sisters in your life.

Paula - Amen!

Brad Woods said...

You got it right Paula!

Hijabee said...

My mum is my role model. She raised 3 kids on her own and taught them everything she knew. She's always been supporting us emotionally and financially. I dont know who I would be if she wasnt part of my life. Everything good that i have in me is from her. May God Bless the strong women in our lives!

Dangerfield said...

Yo Villager I absolutely love your blog.

Unknown said...

Bradley & Mark - Asante sana!

ndeyefatou - Thank you for sharing your insights on your Mum! Black women from all over the globe have been our silent soldiers. I'm glad that this post gave some of us a reason to sit down and reflect on the women in our lives.