March 18, 2012

Happy Birthday: Queen Latifah (1970- )


I like Dana Owens, better known as Queen Latifah (meaning delicate and sensitive in Arabic). I like her music. I like her acting. I like her style. As such, I am glad to wish Queen Latifah a very happy birthday. She was born on March 18, 1970 in East Orange, NJ. [SOURCE]

Did you know that this powerful sister once worked at Burger King. She had that job before she released her debut single, Wrath of My Madness, in 1988.

She was a star on 'Living Single', a truly funny television show. She had been in a number of movies such as Juice, Jungle Fever, House Party 2, Set It Off, Living Out Loud, The Bone Collector, Bringing Down the House and Barber Shop 2.

In 2003, she was nominated for an Oscar for her role as Mama Morton in Chicago. In 2007, she announced her engagement to long time girlfriend Jeanette Jenkins.





I love me some Queen Latifah. What is your favorite Queen Latifah song or movie?

7 comments:

msladyDeborah said...

Hotep Villager!

My favorite Queen Latifah song is the remake of Simply Beautiful.

Durward Discussion said...

I loved her in Chicago and I like that she is willing to do the classic popular music standards. This is one truly talented lady who deserves all of the success she has attained.

LISA VAZQUEZ said...

Hey there,

I didn't know that she was "out" now! I thought she was still trying to play the role of a heterosexual actress...

I remember her when she had the hit "U-N-I-T-Y"...umm...I think I was a newborn! *LOL*

Peace, blessings and godliness,
Lisa

Unknown said...

I am a long time follower of Queen! HAppy B-Day to her. My favorite Queen movie is "Taxi" her and Jimmy Fallon were a riot in that! My favorite song by her would be "UNITY" and her remake of "The Poetry Man", she has a very nice singing voice.
I also loved her in Chicago. She has a nice array of talent.

Monica Roberts said...

All hail the Queen!

Unknown said...

i just love the queen.. i have grown up with her - am 4 yrs older... she is totally faultless.. from music to films to being the face of cover girl... she can do no wrong...
she's an inspiration to my generation...

Unknown said...

Lady D - I'm going to head off to listen to 'Simply Beautiful'. I don't remember it offhand...

Jamie - She was very good in Chicago. Makes you wonder how far she could take it if she was ever serious about acting career. On the other hand, there are very few roles in Hollywood for a sister with physique and power of the Queen...

Lisa & Marci - Yeah, I share these birthday reminders from OURstory just for young 'uns like yourself! :)

Regina - I forgot about Taxi! I don't recall 'The Poetry Man'. Another one I need to go listen to later today...

Monica - Amen!