March 1, 2012

Racism Is As Racism Does: Federal Judge Richard Cebull is a Racist

Did you see where a U.S. district judge in Montana thought it would be funny to forward a racist email indicating that President Barack Obama's mother practiced bestiality? [SOURCE]
In his email, federal judge Richard Cebull writes: "Normally I don't send or forward a lot of these, but even by my standards, it was a bit touching. I want all of my friends to feel what I felt when I read this. Hope it touches your heart like it did mine."

The forwarded content states: "A little boy said to his mother; 'Mommy, how come I'm Black and you're white?' His mother replied, 'Don't even go there Barack! From what I can remember about that party, you're lucky you don't bark!'"
I imagine that we will see more and more of these types of stories as we get closer to the presidential election. Our nation is not post-racial yet. The judge wasn't sorry about sending the email when it went out on February 20th. However, once the email got leaked to the media Cebull realized that he had phuqued up big-time.
"I apologize to anybody who is offended by it, and I can obviously understand why people would be offended," Cebull said in comments reported by the Great Falls Tribune newspaper.

"The only reason I can explain it to you is I am not a fan of our president, but this goes beyond not being a fan," he said. "I didn't send it as racist, although that's what it is. I sent it out because it's anti-Obama."
If Cebull was willing to share his prejudice and racist opinions so freely within his email to his buddies ... you wonder if that same prejudice and racist attitude has shown up in some of his rulings on the court? Cebull has been a federal judge since being nominated by President George W. Bush back in 2008.

Am I unfair to label this guy as a racist? Perhaps he is just a well-meaning guy who made a mistake, huh? What say u?

4 comments:

Ned Hamson said...

Racist! And unwilling to be held accountable for his actions...

Travis Cody said...

I say that well meaning guys who make mistakes don't offer non-apologies. He's only sorry to "anyone who may have been offended"?

Put my check in the racist column.

Old School Fridays said...

Why is he apologizing? I don't understand that. Apologizing because he got caught!?!

This is an attack on his mother, and not the President who Cebull claims he is not a fan of.

A joke on policy I can stomach, but this is just sad.

Unknown said...

Ned - I have to believe that somebody is going to hold him accountable. I can't believe he will be allowed to remain on the federal bench as a judge.

Travis - Yeah, I noted that he gave a "non-apology". He didn't apologize for his actions ... rather he apologized only to 'those who may be offended'. I join you in giving the side-eye to anyone that gives non-apology apologies!

OSF - He's only apologizing to those he may have offended. He doesn't get it yet ... and I imagine he figures he can ride it out in Montana. We'll see if he's right...