1. Set them in your targets - The most important way to improve an ad is to tightly target your audience. You will often have more luck placing your ad in a trade publication than in a general newspaper, even if the readership is not as high.
2. Make you ad stand apart from the rest - Most people are constantly bombarded by advertisements, but what makes yours stand out from the rest? The ads we pay attention to are the ones that pertain directly to our most pressing concerns. The ads we notice are the ones that promote a product, service, or idea that can solve our problem, make us feel better, make us richer, or make us feel sexy and loved.
3. Improve your headline - Get attention by targeting your best audience. Then use a headline to shout out a problem or solution your target audience will immediately identify with.
4. Make your ad skim-friendly -
- Only a small percentage of us start at the beginning of an ad and read every word to the end.
- If the ad is more than a couple of sentences, we will skip it.
- Put your most important phrases in bold.
- Keep sentences short.
- Use simple everyday words.
- Make your paragraphs no longer than three lines.
- Try to limit yourself to one idea per sentence.