October 20, 2010

Broke-A$$ Brotha Tip #2: Go Mobile Young Man!

I'm not proud of being a Broke-A$$ Brotha. My plan is to take steps necessary to get rich over the next few years. I'll share some tips with y'all as I go through the process. I would love to hear from you on some Broke-A$$ Brotha (or Sista) tips that you have learned over the few months and years as well.

Villagers will recall that my first tip was simply entitled, Ignorance is Not Bliss. I suggested that it was important to be fully aware of the money that flows in and out of your hands each month. You can do this by tracking your expenses and income as part of a budgeting process.

In my case, I discovered that I need to do two things. First, I need to cut my monthly expenses wherever possible. Second, I need to increase my income with either more clients or some other revenue-generating idea.

I started with looking at my telephone expense. That is where I discovered Broke A$$ Brotha Tip #2:

Go Mobile Young Man!

I pay my local telephone company a monthly bill. Over the years I've let them convince me to BUNDLE a number of services. I have my Internet, cable and land-line phone service all bundled with Cincinnati Bell. It dawned on me that I *NEVER* (like in NOT EVER!) use my land-line phone. I use my cell-phone for all communication. I called Cincinnati Bell and found out that I could save $41 per month (or $492 per year) if I simply discontinued my land-line phone service. So I discontinued the service. 

Go Mobile Young Man!


Do you really need your land-line phone at your crib? If not, consider the monthly cost-savings you can get from having it disconnected.

After I finished the call to Cincinnati Bell (which I made on my cell-phone while driving home from an appointment) it occurred to me that I'm probably late on learning this particular Broke A$$ Brotha tip. Are you already fully mobile when it comes to your phone service?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is another great tip! I went fully mobile a few years ago. For my business I use a cloud phone service, Ring Central that can be programmed to ring any phone. I also went a step further and changed to a unlimited everything, flat rate, no-contract cell phone, and saved more than $160 per month. Phone and cable are two easy areas to cut expenses.

Unknown said...

Karen - You are the 2nd person today to suggest that going without cable television is another easy way to cut down on television. I'll have to think on it.

re: your cell phone. Do you use a 'smart phone'? or are you using one of the 'flip phones'?

I currently have a flip phone and I keep trying to figure out if it is worth the expense to get the smart phone. I figure that I can't miss what I've never had.