September 26, 2007

Some Want Mychal Bell Free, Others Want to Shoot or Stab Him

Drumbeats came to us from Too Sense about decision by Rep. John Conyers to call for the release of Mychal Bell from adult prison in Jena, LA.
"Our first responsibility is to get young Mychal Bell out of prison," said Rep. John Conyers, the chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, who said he will pressure the Justice Department to take a hard look at "the miscarriages of justice that have occurred in Jena, Louisiana."
On the other side of the spectrum, we see villages on the far side of the river that are so scared of diversity and harmonious race relations that they fantasize about shooting 17-year old Mychal Bell or stabbing him with his puny knife. Is it any wonder that race relations are so difficult to move in a positive direction?

And don't get me started about Bill O'Reilley and his consistent difficulty understanding Black people. He simply refuses to accept that African Americans are no different than other Americans in our abilities and our dreams for the future.

I had to smile last night when I decided to watch a Billy Bob Thornton movie called 'The Badge'. Billy Bob was LaSalle Parrish sheriff. Yep, the movie was set in Jena, LA. Also, one of the actresses in the move is named Jena. The universe is strange...

5 comments:

notfearingchange said...

When I was in Mexico/California the beginning of September there was a protest in Tijuana. I wanted to know why. So I read the newspaper - they described the details. What disgusted me were the comments which followed the article. Racist. Hateful. Saddening. WE ARE ALL HUMANS WITH HEARTS AND FEELINGS AND LOVE. Why? Why? Do people spend so much time hating? Think if we put all that energy into something like oh I don't know educating our children to critically think.

Anonymous said...

Racist, hateful, and hiding behind their keyboards.

It's all just stupid.

I got a delightful comment on a post I did on Michael Vick, saying that the Jena 6 were "a bunch of lowlife apes" and that us blacks are "whiny"...

We want people to be considerate and to treat one another with love, yet we deal with fools on a daily basis. And yes, anyone who would refer to another human being as an ape is a fool in my eyes. I do not have time to argue with or attempt to teach a fool.....

Anonymous said...

oh well living on earth is complicated... I am look for the movie..sound interesting... have u watch the "Contractor" starring Wesley Snipe?...I like Wesley..one of my favorite...

Anonymous said...

"[Mychal Bell] beat his girlfriend so badly that her eye became dislocated from its socket."

This is why Bell's bond was denied.

http://robertlindsay.blogspot.com/2007/09/on-jena-six.html

Unknown said...

NFG - Amen! Welcome back as well...

Enigmatik - There are many fools in the world. We should spend our time finding those that uplift us.

Ester - I have not seen Contractor with Wesley Snipes. I do like Wesley Snipes.

Anon - Thank you for sharing the link. I'll go check it out...