July 13, 2010

Good News Tuesday: Turkenya Herring Uses Technology to Advance Her Education

BDPA exists to advance African Americans in the information technology industry from the classroom to the boardroom.  Turkenya Herring is a remarkable example of BDPA turning its vision into reality.   

The mainstream media usually focuses on the negative behaviors of Black youth in America.  This blog joins with Essential Presence, Tradition of Excellence and others who seek to share positive stories about our people.  

For example, I'd like villagers to know about Turkenya Herring -- a young woman who is quite possibly the future face of technology!

Turkenya was introduced to science, technology and mathematics training while she was in middle school.  She joined a robotics team with a BDPA sponsor, Patriots Technology Training Center.  

Her interest stayed with her as she matriculated to high school.  She connected with BDPA Washington DC chapter and their high school computer competition (HSCC).   She represented the chapter on its national HSCC team in 2007, 2008 and 2009.   She earned multiple Jesse Bemley Scholarships that will help her continue her education at Bowie State University.

Let her share her testimonial with you:

Hello, my name is Turkenya Herring. I graduated in 2010 from Charles Herbert Flowers High School. I plan to attend Bowie State University. I will major in computer science with emphasis in information systems. I plan to pursue a career in networking or database management. I am proud to say that being a part of the high school computer competition has changed my outlook on society and the effects that science and technology has on businesses.

My first year in BDPA was spent meeting new people and learning how to grasp a concept at a very quick pace. I was very shy and far from gregarious. One of the instructors, Mr. Shack, knew I was very smart and always called on me to answer questions and stand up in front of the class to present my project. Eventually, I crawled out of my timid shell and began to converse amongst my peers and instructors. My instructors knew that I had potential to be one of the brightest students; my first year I was selected to compete in the national competition with four of my peers. I was elated and my parents were proud of my accomplishments.

In my second year, I was more motivated and cordial. My instructors and peers looked up to me and expected me to lead the path to success, which was to win 1st place that year. Unfortunately, we won 2nd place but I told everyone to stay motivated because one day we would become HSCC champions. Being in the competition was not about competing, it was about building friendship, learning how to present, showing compassion, and many other valuable skills that I will need in the workforce.

BDPA was the most life-changing experience I have encountered throughout my entire life. It has influenced me to become a computer scientist and give back to others. One day I plan to create and give away my own scholarships. I’ve gained a close relationship with my peers, mentors, and parents over the past three years. I know that I would never have become the knowledgeable, compassionate, cooperative, cordial person I am today if I had not joined this outstanding program.

BDPA Education and Technology Foundation (BETF) provided Turkenya Herring with a Jesse Bemley Scholarship for her efforts in the national HSCC championships held in 2007, 2008 and 2009. We look forward to following her career over the coming years!

You can help us provide more scholarships in the future with a secure online donationWon't you make that move today?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love hearing about the great things young people are doing. Thanks for the story Villager.

Unknown said...

Symphony - It would be nice to see more bloggers joining this effort...