January 30, 2008

Al Gore Has 100 Million Reasons to Stay Out of Politics


I don't see Al Gore throwing his hat into the ring as a presidential candidate this year. His television company, Current Media, filed papers for an initial public offering worth as much as $100 million. The San Francisco company, led by CEO Joel Hyatt, shows programs created by its subscribers, and also buys some programming.

Gore, a former U.S. vice president and winner of the Nobel Peace Prize, and his family own 3.7 million shares of Current Media. In addition, Gore was paid $1.05 million by the company last year. Current Media sez, "Our success is critically dependent on the expertise and continued service of our founders, Al Gore and Joel Hyatt."

What say u? Will Al Gore ever get back into politics?

6 comments:

Woozie said...

No, he's too smart. Whywould he give up $1 million/year for $400k/year? Plus, when things are going so well for him, why would he want to inherit this mess and dirty his hands?

Unknown said...

Woozie - I sometimes think that people who run for president have such a huge ego that they do things that are not too smart. I admit that I was surprised when John Edwards pulled out today because I thought that ego and ambition would overcome his commonsense.

It's nice to be surprised sometimes!

Deidra said...

I wanted him to but seeing how much he's doing now - he doesn't need to. He seem to be doing more for his community than some politicians did in the last few years. I love Current, I check on the website for interesting stories there every now and then.

Unknown said...

Deidra - I couldn't find the website. What is the URL for it?

As an aside, I never really felt comfortable with Al Gore. It's a moot point now ... but, I wonder if his presidency would have been much different than George Bush?

Deidra said...

Villager, it's: http://current.com/

Enjoy!

Unknown said...

Deidra - Asante sana! I updated the post to provide the link to Current Media for others to use as well...