Looking into the fire while sitting here under my baobob tree it seems that the headline above could become reality. Here are 13 factoids floating in my mind:
- Obama has plenty of money
- Obama leads in the popular vote
- Obama leads in the pledged delegates
- Obama leads in states 23-12; there are 15 states left to vote
- Obama is winning by large margins in states all across the nation
- Obama demonstrated that he can match or beat the ground game in every state
- Clinton & Obama agree on most issues
- Clinton already has high negatives ... running more negative ads hurts her more than Obama
- Clinton can't hold super-delegates if she can't win any states since Super Tuesday
- Clinton is boxed in by the rules on Michigan and Florida delegates
- Clinton is good at debates ... but, she ain't that good
- Clinton oratory and message is tired and uninspired
- Clinton is on wrong side of history re: Iraq War
Hillary will face one of those 'Come to Jesus' moments as the election results start coming into her hotel room on March 4th. She will come to the realization that her politics of division and memories of 1990s success simply don't resonate in 2008. America is not looking to build a bridge back to the 20th century. Hillary will realize that her dream of sharing the White House bedroom with Bill Clinton again has been rejected by the voters.
Hillary will realize that she needs to figure out an exit strategy.
Her exit strategy will be to appreciate her job as US Senator from New York. Likely, she will become one of the most visible and vocal leaders in the US Senate in 2009 and beyond. Her strengths are legislation and hearings and such. She will be able to do what she does best in the US Senate. That will become her saving grace.
All of these thoughts will come to her on March 4 when the election results from Ohio, Rhode Island, Texas and Vermont come rolling in. At that point she will see that there is no chance for pulling victory from the jaws of defeat. Losing 14 straight states makes you reconsider your limited options.
That is how I see it sitting here under my baobob tree. What say u?