October 20, 2008

Manic Monday: Bite (Black Vampires)

The theme for this week's Manic Monday is 'Bite'. I debated about talking about dentists or vampires. You're not surprised that I went for vampires, are you?

The first Black vampire that I ever heard about was Blackula, the 1972 blaxploitation film [movie trailer]. Interior decorators buy the coffin of Manuwalde, an African prince bitten by Dracula centuries before and bring it back to Los Angeles. The African prince starts feeding his hunger while following a woman who looks like his departed wife.

The second Black vampire that I ever heard about was Maximillan, the Vampire in Brooklyn [movie trailer]. Maximillian is the only survivor from a race of vampires on a Caribbean Island, and as a vampire, he must find a mate to keep the line from ending. He knows that a child had been born to a woman who had a vampire father, and he searches for her in Brooklyn. Rita's mother, who has died in an asylum, was that woman and Rita has nightmares that she does not understand. Not knowing that she is part vampire, Max woos her and attempts to bring her to her blood sucking destiny.

On the other side of the spectrum, we find folks who hate those who bite ... vampire slayers. Buffy is the most famous. However, Damali Richards might be the most important vampire hunter in a millennium. However, unfortunately for the inexperienced young huntress, the vampires and demons have both discovered her existence. An age-old war escalates to unprecedented heights of violence as the dark forces strive to slay Damali before she comes of age and gains her full powers. You can read all about Damali in the 11-part Vampire Huntress series.

Finally, I imagine that another great vampire slayer is Blade. He was played by Wesley Snipes in a movie trilogy. I doubt we will see another one as Wesley Snipes was bitten by the IRS recently!

15 comments:

Liz Dwyer said...

Love it! I'm on my 237th reading of Dracula so I'm so happy to see something about black vampires. Another black vampire would be the character Shori Matthews from Octavia Butler's Fledgling. That's a great book.

Kismet Nuñez said...

I am a little bit obsessed with L.A. Banks series. I actually had to put it down because it was impeding my academic progress! Can't read about the history of Haiti when I'm wrapped up with Damalia and Carlos!

Love, love, love this Manic Monday thread! If I think of any Afrodescendiente vamps to add, I'll come back.

peace villagers!

anthonynorth said...

I'm a bit of a vampire buff, and this was a good addition to the story.
Thanks for that.

earthlingorgeous said...

oooOOOooo I was just done with my bite post! I love vampires I dunno why maybe because the actors playing them in the movies are so charming?

Unknown said...

Los Angelista - Octavia Butler is my favorite author. I thought I had read each of her books. However, I don't recall Fledgling. I'll pick it up at the library later today!

Kismet - Oddly enough, I never heard of L.A. Banks until this blog post. It sounds like a unique series of books...

maryt/theteach said...

Love vampire movies, Wayne! And loved Wesley in the Blade series... That video is the nicest, politics-wrangling-free video I've ever seen! Great job! Happy MM! :)

Polly said...

I liked Eddie Murphey in Vampire in Brooklyn, but who could not like Wesley Snipes in Blade. I love it!

Anonymous said...

I totally forgot about the Blackula film...I remember that coming out in the theatres

Durward Discussion said...

Drat!!! Blackula completely slipped my mind and he was one of the most publicized of the era. Thanks for the reminder of all the other great vampires out there. You've given me more reading material.

After Hours said...

Blade rocked! It's too bad Snipes got taken to the big house because he is such a great actor. hopefully he still will be when he returns..

Andrea said...

I think I will have to check out that Huntress series! thanks for the heads up!

Andrea
My Autism Insights

Unknown said...

Teach - I wonder what I'm gonna do when Nov 5th comes and the heat of the current election is not so overbearing?

Polly & After Hours - Wesley Snipes made a penitentiary movie called, 'Undefeated'. I bet he is watching that movie over and over before he enters prison. What a waste...

Lois - We both date ourselves when we remember it at the theatres (smile)...

Jamie - I learned about some vampires in literature and television that I never knew about before today's Manic Monday...

Linda said...

What a great take not just on the "Bite' theme this week but on vampires, too!

In the upcoming movie, "Twilight", you can find another black vampire as the role of Laurent has been cast with a black actor.

Amazing Gracie said...

I did see the first movie with Wesley Snipes. It was really good! I'm not a big fan of vampires but I like the campy ones, especially!
Snipes is a great actor - hope he can have a "come-back."
~~~Blessings~~~

SjP said...

Wesley bitten by the IRS. Now that's funny! LOL!