September 2, 2010

Black Unemployment Rate Rises to 16.3% in August 2010

The negative economic news continues to flow from Washington DC ... and it is hitting the Black community harder than anyone.  A new employment report released this morning by the Bureau of Labor Statistics shows us that the unemployment rate for African Americans rose from 15.6% in July 2010 to 16.3% in August 2010.

The mainstream media is painting this month's report in a negative light -- 54,000 jobs were lost last month.  The unemployment rate edged up slightly over the past month ... it's now 9.6%. There was some positive news with private employers hiring increasing by 67,000 jobs last month.  Since its most recent low in December 2009, private-sector employment has risen by 763,000.

What do these numbers mean to you?

2 comments:

msladyDeborah said...

One of the things that these stats don't indicate is the other factors that I am interested in knowing.

Age, gender, occupational sectors that people worked in prior to becoming unemployed. Educational levels of the individuals. I suspect that there are people who have other factors working against them. Is part of this number the ex-offender population?

I also wonder if the rates are in states who have lost certain types of jobs? We don't do much manufacturing in my part of the O-State. We have a lot of jobs that are technically based.

I also question if the people ran into the same wall that I did. There are some employers who think that they can offer sub-standard wages and you'll jump for them. I refused to even talk to people who started out below my requirements. Which was not easy to do. I have a lot of expertise and experience. I am not earning what I use to but I also know how much I need to live.

Unknown said...

Lady D - I don't have answers to your questions about the unemployment numbers, however, I think that you're asking the right questions.

Hopefully, some other villager reading your comment will be able to share some insights with us.