August 1, 2007

Manic Monday: Drop


Morgen's Manic Monday word today is DROP. Have you heard the term DROP-dead gorgeous before? I remember when I was growing up the most beautiful woman in the world showed up on my television on July 16, 1977 when Janelle 'Penny' Commissiong of Trinidad and Tobago became the first Black winner in the history of the Miss Universe pageant.

"I felt like a ray of sunshine was around me" is how Janelle described the feeling that night.

It's odd. I still remember where I was when she won the contest. I was on summer vacation out by a lake in Michigan with my grandparents, uncle and such. I understand that when Janelle was announced as the new Miss Universe, Trinidad and Tobago went wild. Evidently, Trinidadian television aired repeats of the pageant for days. The 24 year-old Caribbean beauty declared that she "believed her election would contribute to erasing racial barriers." Proud of her victory, she noted, "Beauty belongs to all people; it has no racial or geographic boundaries."

Today, Janelle runs the largest boat-building company in the Caribbean and maintains a low profile.

My definition of beauty evolved later in life. Halle Berry became the DROP-dead gorgeous woman of my dreams. Halle started out as a beauty queen and model and later became a pioneer for Black women in Hollywood. One of her first roles as a crack addict in Jungle Fever was impressive. She had minor roles in a number of movies such as The Last Boy Scout, Boomerang and The Flintstones.

In 1999 Berry realized a lifelong dream and won an acting Emmy when she produced and starred in the TV biopic Introducing Dorothy Dandridge, about the first Black performer to be nominated for an Oscar as best actress. The part proved prophetic when Berry became the first Black actress to win that coveted award in 2002 for her unglamorous turn as a woman coping with a husband on death row in Monster's Ball. Billy Bob Thornton is still my hero as a result of his role in that movie!
Berry's personal life is a mess with high-profile divorces from professional baseball player David Justice and singer Eric Benet, and a hit-and-run accident and subsequent civil suit in 2000.

Currently, the two DROP-dead gorgeous women that I would love to see in our village are Meagan Good and Serena Williams! Well villagers, care to share your thoughts on a DROP-dead gorgeous man or woman on your mind?

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

you have a wonderful selection of beauties for this week!! Halle Berry has always been one of my favorites. Have a great week--great post.

Desert Songbird said...

All beautiful women. Great choices.

Happy MM!

Unknown said...

Tegdirb92 & Songbird - Who is drop-dead gorgeous in your view?

peace, Villager

Gattina said...

I agree with you that Halle Berry is a beauty but Serena Williams ??? for me she isn't a beauty at all !

My cat header I probably got from a wall paper company and just cut of what I needed. Unfortunately I don't remember the name at all.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree. Very lovely ladies.

Good Post

Later Y'all

Unknown said...

Gattina - Different generations and different genders might explain our unique perspective on Serena (smile). Who would you describe as "DROP-dead gorgeous"?

Meloncutter - Asante sana! Who do you see as "DROP dead gord

Durward Discussion said...

Different Generation. I have to go with these two Drop Dead Gorgeous ladies:

Lena Horne and Dorothy Dandridge

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

they are lovely my friend... but i love beauty on the inside too!

smiles, bee

Sarge Charlie said...

some mighty fine ladies my friend. You asked about my banner it was done by Barter My Skills (Skillful Nevins) on my sidebar. He is in Indonesia.

bundle-o-contradictions said...

A neat take on the topic! :)

Mary said...

I really do think that Halle Berry is just gorgeous and a lovely person. Miss Universe is drop dead gorgeous!

Hmmm... Johnny Depp is on my mind, i watch Pirates 2 last night. YUM!

Foofa said...

I haven't found too many people Drop-dead gorgeous lately, they mostly just look ok to me. Janelle is one beautiful lady!!! I wasn't aware of her story. I'll play along a little bit, one of the most drop-dead gorgeous couples ever- Iman and David Bowie!!!! Awesome.

katherine. said...

Halle Berry has always been stunning...

Personally I think Sean Connery is drop dead gorgeous...staring way back in "Darby O'Gill and the Little People." I kinda have a thing for Denzel Washington and Toby Keith as well....sigh....

Amazing Gracie said...

I had Lena Horne on my mind before I saw her already posted. Not only beautiful outside, but she is a very gracious woman with a beautiful voice!
I alway thought Grace Kelly was drop-dead gorgeous, too. Can you guess how old I am???
The current young women are a dime-a-dozen, except for Halle Berry. She's a classic beauty, and charming as well.

Linda said...

I have always felt that Halle Berry was the most beautiful women in Hollywood and I have always enjoyed her films, too.

I've got to agree with Katerine on this one, I think Sean Connery is most definitely drop-dead gorgeous, especially in a kilt!

As for the banner on my blog, it was done by Se7en who designed my entire blog template for me. I think he did a great job!

Lizza said...

I think Halle Berry is drop-dead gorgeous. So is Lauryn Hill. Paulina Porizkova, Raoul Bova, JD Fortune...the list goes on.

crpitt said...

This has made me smile :)

Hmm who do i think is drop dead gorgeous?

Well Halle Berry is a stunner.

Matthew mcconaughey and Henry Simmons(was in nypd blue now in shark!, my mum also loves him :)

The Tour Marm said...

I remembered when Vanessa Williams won the Miss America title and then was forced to give it back because of some fashion photos.

I thought she was drop dead gorgeous then, and she still is. She has emerged as a truly an accomplished woman with a great deal of poise and class. And her fashion sense is impeccable.

Unknown said...

All - Other DROP-dead gorgeous suggestions made from this post include: Halle Berry, Raoul Bova, David Bowie, Sean Connery, Johnny Depp, JD Fortune, Lauryn Hill, Lena Horne, Iman, Toby Keith, Grace Kelley, Matthew McConaughey, Paulina Porizkova, Henry Simmons and Denzel Washington.

peace, Villager

Unknown said...

Halle Berry for me, please.
She´s a sheer beauty in my eyes.

Bohemian Chick said...

Hi Villager...great post! Your list is also interesting, and you have excellent taste.

The top 2 on my list of drop-dead gorgeous men are Djimon Hounsou and Dwayne Johnson.

Of course...it's the inner beauty that's most important. *smile*

Unknown said...

Sanni - Halle Berry works for me as well!

BHC - I must admit that I think that both Djimon and The Rock are pretty kewl as actors.