August 26, 2008

Hillary Clinton Democratic Convention Speech


I am much more pleased with Hillary Clinton as a result of her speech tonight. Hillary laid it out in a simple and succint manner by telling her folks that this election isn't about her any more.

The former first lady ceded the nomination that was almost hers to Barack Obama in a powerful speech at the Democratic National Convention in Denver. This puts an end to the drama of the 2008 primary. In my view Hillary should be the Senate Majority Leader or Supreme Court Justice or whatever the heck she wants in her political future. She firmly stood up on her own ... outside of the shadow of her prior status as a supportive wife.

She was warmly embraced by delegates split between her and Barack Obama in the primary. Any who were still angry over her loss were drowned out in applause when she opened her speech by declaring herself "a proud supporter of Barack Obama."

She exhorted her backers to remember who was most important in this campaign.

"I want you to ask yourselves: Were you in this campaign just for me?" she said. She urged them instead to remember Marines who have served their country, single mothers, families barely getting by on minimum wage and other struggling Americans.

Only two more things need to happen. Bill Clinton needs to heed the message, tone and tenor of his wife's remarks tomorrow night when he speaks ... and Barack Obama needs to give the best speech of his life on Thursday night.



"I am honored to be here tonight. A proud mother. A proud Democrat. A proud American. And a proud supporter of Barack Obama.

My friends, it is time to take back the country we love.

Whether you voted for me, or voted for Barack, the time is now to unite as a single party with a single purpose. We are on the same team, and none of us can sit on the sidelines.

This is a fight for the future. And it's a fight we must win.

I haven't spent the past 35 years in the trenches advocating for children, campaigning for universal health care, helping parents balance work and family, and fighting for women's rights at home and around the world . . . to see another Republican in the White House squander the promise of our country and the hopes of our people.

And you haven't worked so hard over the last 18 months, or endured the last eight years, to suffer through more failed leadership.

No way. No how. No McCain.

Barack Obama is my candidate. And he must be our President.

Tonight we need to remember what a Presidential election is really about. When the polls have closed, and the ads are finally off the air, it comes down to you -- the American people, your lives, and your children's futures.

For me, it's been a privilege to meet you in your homes, your workplaces, and your communities. Your stories reminded me everyday that America's greatness is bound up in the lives of the American people -- your hard work, your devotion to duty, your love for your children, and your determination to keep going, often in the face of enormous obstacles."

What did you think about Hillary's speech tonight?



11 comments:

clnmike said...

She did her thing but Bill as usual is tripping over his own tongue and her fanatics are still talking out the side of there mouths but she did her part.

Kevin Andre Elliott said...

I just got home from work, so I haven't seen her speech yet, but all accounts I've read say that she was remarkable tonight. Personally, I've always thought that Bill Clinton was more behind all the negativity this cycle than Hillary Clinton.

SjP said...

I am very pleased! Fist bump to her!

Jackie said...

She came through for her party and her country. I knew she would.
Senate Majority Leader or Justice Clinton? Sounds excellent.

Unknown said...

Mike - I think that Hillary gave some major cues to Bill in her speech. Hillary wants her supporters to proactively support Obama ... and Bill is one of the supporters she was talking to last night...

Kevin - I just added the video of her speech if you still haven't had chance to watch it. I agree with you about Bubba being source of much of the negativity, although I think that Hillary was surrounded by some staff that were very evil in their thoughts about Obama...

Sojourner - That would be quite a photo; fist bump between Hillary, Bill and Barack on Thursday night after his speech!

Jackie - If Obama gets elected he should hold his enemies close (including Billary!)

Old School Fridays said...

I don't trust Bill, he is going to try to write around the message that he needs to deliver. When the cameras were on him last night, he mouthed, "I Love you, I Love You, I love You." toward Hillary. She couldn't see him, he was doing it for show.

I'll try to save most of my opinion until after his speech, which I heard he through a tantrum about because he wanted to do the economy instead of foreign affairs. I hope that's not true, but we will see want we...

Unknown said...

Mrs. Grapevine - This is Clinton's last, best chance to change the narrative about him. He lost so much of the goodwill for him during the Clinton campaign. He needs to do strong job of supporting Obama ... regardless of his feelings about Obama (or vice versa). Obama and Clinton need each other. Now is the time to get the job done...

sTellaS said...

I was most impressed with her after the roll call today. Her husband is the real issue and that has always been Hillary's biggest problem.

Unknown said...

Stella - What did you think of Bill's speech last night?

Woozie said...

Did I find my way here in the middle of a redesign? Everything's all black and centered.

Unknown said...

Woozie - One of the ads caused my blog to go crazy. The ad has been removed and we're back in the mix again...