August 17, 2008

Randi Miller Wins Wrestling Bronze Medal


Much of the media attention from the first week of the Beijing Olympics focused on Michael Phelps. Phelps earned it with seven world records and eight gold medals. However, I woke up this morning and women's wrestling was on television.

Imagine my surprise to see a powerful nubian sister from America ... Randi Miller ... winning the bronze medal in the Olympic women's 63-kilogram wrestling match! Miller defeated Canada's Martine Dugrenier by scoring the decisive point with only 13 seconds remaining in the third period.

Congrats to Randi Miller and her family in Arlington, TX for this remarkable international victory. And for those villagers who are wondering ... 63-kilograms is about 140 pounds!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

My...she's a big girl. Great performance!

Unknown said...

Blog Queen - She is power-packed sista with a bronze medal symbolizing world-class excellence in her sport. She looked very fit this morning as I watched her beat her opponent with last-second pin...

LISA VAZQUEZ said...

Hey there!!

Thanks for sharing this!

Ummm.... 140 pounds is not that large... Venus and Serena are both larger than that...

I am sooo proud that our people are blazing at these Olympics!!

(smiles)
Lisa

Unknown said...

Lisa - I agree that Serena is a thick sista as well (smile). Actually, the country that must be feeling the most pride ... outside of China ... is Jamaica. Did you see the 100m men & women dashes over the weekend?

Amani Roberts said...

Hey, I didn't even see this . GOod thing I read through your entire blog. Nice catch. And you are right about Jamaica feeling proud. I live in Redondo Beach, CA (majority white community) and I saw two woman with Jamaican flags draped around them running down the street for their daily jog. They are on fire!!

Unknown said...

MirthNadir - Thank you for sharing your village voice with us. I watched Ursain Bolt in his 200m prelims yesterday. He seems so much superior to the rest of these world-class atheletes and he is only 21 years old?!? Remarkable. I look forward to seeing him run again in these Olympics...

I hope you come back and visit with us again!