June 12, 2009

Old School Friday: Ghetto Supremes

This week's theme for Old School Friday is 'Keep It in the Family'. This is a theme about mothers/daughters, sister/brothers, aunts/nephews who sing. Let me begin with the obvious ... the Jackson 5 would have been the easy choice. However, I decided to go where no villager would dare go ... straight to the projects in Chicago.

How many of y'all remember what it meant to have a 'rent party'? James, Florida, Thelma, JJ and Michael once had to put on a rent party for Willona (their neighbor) when she was about to be evicted. This family showed us that you could have GOOD TIMES even in the midst of economic chaos. In the following video you can enjoy the vocal styles of Florida, her daughter and her neighbor ... (obviously this was done before Janet Jackson was added to the cast!)



Ghetto_Supremes
by kered173

Asante sana to Mrs Grapevine and Ms Marvalus for creating Old School Friday. I encourage all villagers with a blog to participate in this weekly meme!

12 comments:

PPR_Scribe said...

This is an absolutely wonderful twist on the theme! I remember this episode vividly. Seemed like there was real joy and camaraderie amongst the cast, doesn't it? Very different from most of the current day "Black shows" I sometimes drop in on these days. Thanks for posting this. Happy OSF!

Unknown said...

I also remember the episode! Nice choice and thank you so much for NOT going with the Jacksons!!

SjP said...

Now that is a good one! And you are absolutely correct. NO ONE would have thought....

Anonymous said...

Villager!

Brother you nailed it with this one. Like you said the Jackson 5 was just too easy a selection, but I never woulda come up with this one. Good Times was a great show for sure, and that episode was a classic.
Greart choice, and Happy OSF!

Unknown said...

PPR Scribe - Are there any current 'Black shows' any longer?

Regina and Sojourner - It hit me a minute ago that I should have posted a song by The Whispers. I really liked that crew back in the day...

pjazzypar said...

This is funny, Willona and Florida are killing me! I love this.

CCG said...

Oh SNAP!!!

U's a baaaaaaddd MUTHAFUNKA!!!

Hagar's Daughter said...

"Sing your song, baby. Sing your song!" - lol This brought a smile to my face. "The Ghetto Supremes"...teehee

Happy OSF

Hey Shae! said...

Love the spin on the theme. They threw some pretty good rent parties didn't they? LOL

Unknown said...

All - I'm glad you and others enjoyed my selection. In retrospect I'm sorry that I didn't go with The Whispers...

Marvalus said...

LOL! Very nice!

Color Online said...

New to this meme. Will be back to see your posts regularly now. Enjoyed.