When white folks in America get in trouble ... the first thing that comes to their mind appears to be ... 'A Black man did it'. As long as it's allegedly a brutish Black man is involved, America will fall for anything.
The latest to find comfort in this racist excuse is Pennsylvania mother Bonnie Sweeten. She made frantic calls to 911, saying she and her daughter, 9, had been abducted and stuffed in the trunk of a car by two Black men.
I knew this was gonna be a fake call when I first heard it.
So I wasn't surprised when Sweeten and her innocent 9-year old daughter were found at Walt Disney World in Florida. A prosecutor said Sweeten will be charged with making false police reports and identity theft.
When will our nation finally deal with our continuing race relations issues? Sweeten isn't the first one to shift blame to a non-existent Black men ... and how quickly white folks want to believe it when it happens. Let's see if you can help me create a list of cases where the "Black man did it" was used:
- Ashley Todd - This McCain volunteer said she was robbed by a 6'4" Black man.
- Charles Stuart - This is the guy who lied about a Black guy with a raspy voice shooting his pregnant wife to death.
- Susan Smith - This is the young woman who killed her babies by driving them into the lake. She blamed it on a gun-toting Black man who she invented. She said that this imaginary Black man car-jacked her and took the car and babies.
- Frances Taylor - She blamed an assault on an imaginary Black man to conceal her own affair. As a result, the entire town of Rosewood was burned down.
- Ruby Bates and Victoria Price - These two young white girls falsely accused nine Black boys of raping them. The nine Black boys were known as the "Scottsboro Boys" and they were found guilty of a crime they did not commit.
- Jacquelyn Parfait - She told the police that she was abducted by two Black women who took her to a home where she was repeatedly raped for days. Later, she told the police that she made it all up.
This trite ruse that white folks have about blaming a Black man led to decades of lynching in America. Isn't it time we put an end to it.
I hope that Sweeten loses custody of her children and spends many years in jail. Maybe that response will cause white folks to think twice before inventing an imaginary Black man to divert attention from their own dastardly deeds.