October 6, 2009

Good News Tuesday: William Kamkwamba, The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind


Soulclap to Zafar Minhas for pointing me to the story of William Kamkwamba. William grew up amidst poverty and famine in rural parts of the African nation of Malawi. It turns out that 14-year old William wanted to light his village.

His journey shows the power of having a goal.

Kamkwamba used discarded motor parts, a PVC pipe and an old bicycle wheel, to harness one of the only resources available to the people of Malawi: wind.





This inspiring true story is documented in an autobiography titled, 'The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind'. There is also a documentary film project based on his windmill that is supported by an American nonprofit group called 'Moving Windmills'.




7 comments:

clnmike said...

Now that is inspiring to see such a young guy come up with that idea.

Good one.

Vérité Parlant said...

This is a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing it with us. I needed something like this tonight. :-)

Anonymous said...

Good news indeed. Thanks for sharing this story. You, Mike and Monie all shared stories I didn't know about until today.

Anonymous said...

Villager, do you have the code for the header so I can put this box back on my posts? When I post the linky address it doesn't show the box that you have in your post.

Also, I don't recall how to point the "learn more" to the post you thought I should point it to. Good suggestion by the way.

I'm quite needy today LOL.

Unknown said...

Mike - I'm heading over to see your Good News Tuesday post right now!

VP - Please consider participating in this weekly meme if you have time or inclination. Your blog readers will enjoy it!

Symphony - Your vision with this weekly meme is to be commended. I'm glad that I took you up on your challenge!

Monie said...

@Villager

Great post. He's a brilliant kid. His story can def inspire other young people.

Unknown said...

Monie - thanks for your visit this week. I hope that other Black bloggers join us in support of this weekly meme!