October 9, 2009

Old School Friday: Billy Preston

The theme for this week's Old School Friday meme is 'Freshman Year of High School'. High schools in Los Angeles begin with the 10th grade ... which is the 'sophomore' year. I figure that I'm supposed to share a musical throught from my 9th grade year -- which was 1973.

There was some great music in 1973 from Gladys Knight (Neither One of Us), Isley Brothers (That Lady), The Temptations (Masterpiece) and Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes (Love I Lost).

But, I decided to go with Billy Preston. I sported a large afro for most of my high school years ... and that was the deciding factor in choosing the 1973 hit song, Will It Go Round in Circles.




Did you ever see 11-year old Billy Preston when he made his national television debut in 1957 on The Nat King Cole Show.

8 comments:

CCG said...

I LOVE THAT SONG!!!

HAPPY OSF!!!

Unknown said...

CCGroovy - Billy Preston was a talented crooner back in the day. I'm heading over to see your OSF meme entry right now...

Wax Poetic said...

Always Classic.

Unknown said...

Whoa!! Very nice & that hair was massive!

Unknown said...

Shawn - It seems from my visit thru other OSF posts that I'm one of the oldest bloggers in our crew! (sigh)

Regina - Big 'fro ... and it ain't no wig!

Pop Art Diva Enterprises said...

1973 - Let's see I was just out of college and doing my first illustration and design jobs, but I do remember enjoying Billy Preston while I sipped a martini or two in the clubs!

Unknown said...

PPR Scribe - Well, I see that i'm no longer the eldest member of this weekly meme! I also need to upgrade my class of clubs ... I'm fairly certain that the ones I go to don't serve martinis (shaken, unshaken or any other way)! :)

Marvalus said...

Good stuff, Villager!

Happy OSF!