July 7, 2009

Much Respect to Rev. Al Sharpton for his Michael Jackson Tribute

I often think that Rev. Al Sharpton is self-centered. He seems to jump on causes that will provide him with media exposure. Often, I struggle with the impact and effectiveness of his organization.

Rev. Al Sharpton's eulogy at the Michael Jackson Memorial caused me to reconsider my thoughts. I think that Sharpton demonstrated why he is still relevant for much of the Black community. The content, tone and emotional connection of his message cannot be denied.




Sharpton hit the nail on the head during his eulogy when he told the three young Jackson children,
"There was nothing strange about your daddy. It was strange what your daddy had to deal with, but he dealt with it."
Villagers, you know how you can accumulate 'Get Out of Jail' cards in the game of Monopoly for use when you need it in the future? Al Sharpton just put away a few 'Get Out of Jail' cards from me today.

What say u about Al Sharpton?

8 comments:

Ann Brock said...

I agree with your post. If not for the Rev.Al holding the media in check from the start of the news of MJ death there's no telling how the outcome would have been.

Monica Roberts said...

As I've said constantly on my Blog and elsewhere, don't sleep on Rev. Al.

If white peeps are hatin' on you, calling you a demagogue, et cetera you're doing something right.

SjP said...

Rev. Al has certainly been on point throughout this whole thing. I'm really happy to give him his props on this one. Hopefully, he'll get a chance to tear O'reilly a new one with all the crap he's been putting out there!

Unknown said...

i stood up in london and applauded sharpton.. he took it there - he said the things that needed to be said.. he was awesome.. detractors be damned..
it was amazing to see the civil rights heavyweights from all walks of life still around the jacksons... it is easy to forget the era the parents grew up in and how they must have struggled too...

Unknown said...

JJ, SJP and Monica - I feel ya'. Hopefully Rev. Al can continue to be relevant and on point in the weeks and months ahead...

Marci - Excuse me while I wipe this silly grin off my face ... someone from London is reading my blog ... (still smilin')!

Black on Campus said...

Sharpton did a great job. I have often been skeptical of his motives, ever since Tawana Brawley, but in the last couple years he has made some public statements that truly have begun to change my feelings about him.

LISA VAZQUEZ said...

Hey there!

When I found out that Al Sharpton was doing the eulogy...I cringed... but *sigh* I watched the telecast since it was on while I was at the pedicurist getting my feet waxed...

Okay, T.M.I.!!
*LOL*

I am glad that he spoke to the children. They have nothing to be ashamed of about their father and his own child said that he was loving and devoted and "The best". And how many folks can say that about their own fathers? *crickets chirping*

Peace, blessings and DUNAMIS!
Lisa

Unknown said...

Ajuan - I guess Sharpton has been trying for many years to overcome that Tawanna Brawley incident. I wonder what Ms. Brawley is doing nowadays?

BWBTT - I've lived a sheltered life. I have no idea what it means to have your feet 'waxed' ... but it sounds like a relaxing weekend activity ... especially if they have cable!

re: fatherhood. I feel ya'. I must admit that I thought on my relationship with my children quite differently when I picked them up after having watched the 2.5 hour MJ memorial.