July 9, 2009

Wichita Wants Taser Torture Case to Go Away with $50,000 Payment to Donnell Williams


This blog started following the growing incidences of taser abuse against Black folks back in 2007. One reason for our interest was Donnell Williams. He is the deaf man who was taking a bath in his own home when police busted in and tased him.

The police officers said they had to use the taser because the man wouldn't follow their instructions. Officers say they were concerned of their own safety. Of course, they were never in danger because they were fired up and ready to go on a false alarm.

"I was mad but I was scared and shocked about it," said Donnell Williams in 2007. "I've never had a gun pointed at me." Williams said he had just gotten out of the bathtub, wearing only a towel.
Wichita police now realize that Mr. Williams didn't 'follow directions' because he couldn't hear them - he's deaf!

Anyhow, the Wichita City Council voted to settle a lawsuit with Mr. Williams by paying him $50,000. The city is not admitting to any wrongdoing on the officers' part. But it believes the $50,000 settlement will save time and money.

No word yet on whether or not Mr. Williams will accept the settlement offer. Care to offer your village voice on taser torture (in general) or this Wichita case (in particular)?

What say u?

4 comments:

Eddie G. Griffin said...

A settlement, in any amount, is a concession... a retreat of sorts... not exactly a full galloping retreat... one step backwards...

LISA VAZQUEZ said...

A measley $50,000??

Puhleeease.

Who were his lawyers??

Anonymous said...

This is a great blog, check out my website I am creating on local Wichita information.

http://sites.google.com/site/wichitalifenow/

Unknown said...

Eddie - Yep...perhaps the pendulum is going to swing in the right direction.

On another note, I watched a video last night called 'Felon' and I thought of your past experiences. At one point a character in the movie notes that society in prison has no resemblances to socient outside the walls. He noted that society in the walls is strictly based on race.

Lisa - Measley? They could throw it my way and I wouldn't throw it back (smile)! Perhaps the city lawyers were going for 1:1 match between settlement dollars and taser gun voltage...

SScott7676 - I'm heading over to check out your website. My Dad worked in Wichita for a year back in the early 1960s. I think he worked for Cessna (the aircraft makers)...