July 8, 2009

'This I Accomplish: Harriet Powers' Bible Quilt and Other Pieces' by Kyra Hicks


I encourage all villagers to check out the latest book published by quilting advocate Kyra Hicks. Her new book is entitled, 'This I Accomplish: Harriet Powers' Bible Quilt and Others Pieces'.

Kyra researched this book for over two years to document information about Harriet Powers (1837–1910) and her two known quilts (The Bible Quilt at the Smithsonian - and the Pictorial Quilt at the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston).

What say u about quilting?

2 comments:

msladyDeborah said...

Hotep Villager,

For people who do not know the historical importance of the art of quilting by Black women, they are missing an important lesson in history and art.

My grandmother quilted. I have produced one small one. I am currently gathering materials to produce a second one.

I have often considered quilting to be one of the most productive forms of recycling that our mothers before us implemented. Not only do they often tell stories, but the fact that the quilts were often produced from scraps of fabric from clothing that was worn by family members.

My mom has a quilt that my grandmother made for her. It has swatches of fabric from her favorite dresses. It is kept in a cedar chest. My mom loves that quilt even today.

Thanks for sharing this information. I'm going to have to get into book ASAP!
I have membership to the Smithsonian which equals a discount for the purchase.

Unknown said...

Lady D - I hope my sister sees your comment. I didn't know that you were a quilter...and I think it is remarkable that your family has a quilt that is still impactful today in the 21st century.