August 8, 2009

Do Children Really Need Fathers?


I went to college in Riverside CA. I never thought of it as a center of Black political activism at the time. So imagine my surprise to learn that a group of African American men have been hitting the streets looking for positive and proactive ways to improve our community. One of their projects is the annual Million Father March:



MILLION FATHER MARCH

Don't Blame It On The Alcohol

When it comes to the lack of paternal involvement, who should we blame?

I say, "Don't blame it on the schools, prisons or alcohol." But, rather place the blame right where it fits. Squarely on the shoulders of fathers.

As the Million Father March gets underway across America, I am confident there will be excuses. Some will say, "I have other commitments." While, others will claim "I'm doing my part as a father so I don't need to go." And, then there are those who will dodge the invitation all together. To the former I say, "Understandbly so, however, tell ten and let them tell ten." To those involved I say, "If you're doing your part, then come share with those that need to know what you know - if not you, who?" And, to the latter I say and pray, "Read on, there is hope for you."

Like I said, "Don't blame it on the schools, prisons or alcohol." When a child is let loose on the streets, confused with anger and kills the innocent, who is to blame? When a child fails in school because no one feels the need to help, who is to blame? When a child runs away to escape the hurt and pain at home, who is to blame?

Fatherhood Is NOT a Coward's Business!
It is the business of handling one's business. It is about taking time out to know your child(ren) when they don't know themselves. It's about poppin' that colla' and saying "I got this" and getting to the streets to do whatever it takes (legally) to provide for your child. It's about saying "My child is the most important headline of my day" and sharing that news with others.

So I say, "Don't blame it on the schools, prisons or alcohol." You either got game, or you don't! And, if you do, bring it to the march. And, if you don't, bring it to the march. Because, either way we got something for you.

When the day is done and the march has gone, ask yourself, "Will my legacy live on?" Will I have stood shoulder to shoulder with other fathers who fought to put purpose in their seeds. Or, will I make excuses, coward down and blame society for what she did to me. Now, that I laid pipe, hyped, no gripe off the chain wild, guess it's time to turn over the reins and let another man raise my child.

Villagers, what say u?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Children need fathers as much as they need their mothers. Unfortunately the role of the father has been played down because of their lack of responsibility to their family; this is overwhelmingly obvious in the black communities. Action needs to be taken expeditiously to curtail this epidemic and a 'Million Father March' may be the key.

Unknown said...

News Revolver - I think that the key is for all men to develop a loving RELATIONSHIP with their children. That is needed much more than our finances or our discipline. Our children need to have a relationship with their daddy. Can we 'make it so'?

Martin Lindsey said...

All I can say is amen. You express many of my sentiments perfectly. I'm going to read up on the Million Father March.

Unknown said...

Martin - You are the actionist! I encourage you to share information about this subject with your blog readers...