August 16, 2009

Sunday Inspirations: Don't Worry About Anything

My month has not started out very well. I have been working through issues in my personal and professional life. However, perhaps I worry too much. I read in the Good Book, "Don't worry about anything." (Philippians 4:6)

Forty percent of what we worry about never happens. Thirty percent has already happened. Twelve percent focuses on opinions or situations we can't change. Ten percent is about our health, which only worsens it. Eight percent concerns real problems we can influence. Think: ninety-two percent of our worries are needless!

Worry comes from a Greek word meaning, "to divide the mind." Anxiety splits us right down the middle. Rather than take away tomorrow's trouble, it robs us of today's strength. And who can afford to lose strength? "But how can I stop worrying?" Paul offers a two-pronged answer: God's part and our part.

Our part includes prayer and gratitude: "Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all He has done" (Philippians 4:6 NLT). Do you want to worry less? Pray more! And express your gratitude. God wants to be thanked before He gets invoiced!

And what's God's part? Listen: "If you do this, you will experience God's peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:7 NLT).

Believing prayer ushers in God's peace. Imagine having God's peaceful state of mind! Do you think He battles anxiety? Wrings His hands or asks the angels for antacids? Your problem is less to Him than a twig to an elephant. God enjoys perfect peace because He enjoys perfect power - and He offers His peace to you.

Just do your part through prayer and thanksgiving and He'll do His!

A friend suggested that I simply "Be prayerful. Be silent. Be still." I'm working at it. Methinks that today is a good day for me to go to church!

5 comments:

Martin Lindsey said...

Well said Villager. Prayer nullifies a lot of mess in the head.

On the way to Sunday School and services ourselves. We'll see you there in spirit.

Martin Lindsey said...

Oh, and take a listen to some good church music on my facebook page this morning.

Unknown said...

Marty - I'm heading over to your blog and Facebook page right now!

Daij said...

This was exactly what I needed to read about this morning! Thank you! Well said!

Unknown said...

Daij - I'm glad that it hit the spot for you. I hope to become more consistent about my contributions to this weekly meme in the future...