March 21, 2008

Bill Richardson Endorses Barack Obama


One of the highest-ranked Hispanic politicians in the nation just endorsed Barack Obama. Bill Richardson, former presidential candidate and current governor of New Mexico had tremendous foriegn policy chops. He also was appointed twice by Bill Clinton to cabinet-level posts. Much of Richardson's political success is due to Team Clinton. Bill watched the Super Bowl earlier this year at Richardson's house. With all of that inside knowledge about Team Clinton ... Richardson chose to endorse Barack Obama.

Check out the enthusiastic endorsement he gave Obama earlier today:





It is good to see positive news coming from the Obama campaign again after such a negative few weeks. Obama needs to send Richardson directly after the 40 Hispanic super-delegates that are undeclared at this moment. I suspect that Richardson hopes to be considered for either Secretary of State or Vice President in Obama administration.

Heck, look again at that picture of Bill Clinton watching the Super Bowl. You can almost tell from Clinton's body language that he knew that he wasn't going to win Richardson's endorsement!

What is your take on this Richardson endorsement? Can endorsements from Al Gore, Joe Biden or John Edwards be far behind?

9 comments:

Marvalus said...

Some good news after a rough week!

I have to wonder, though: what exactly made Bill Richardson choose Barack over HRC? Being as close to the Clintons as he was/is, is it merely just the explanation that Barack is the better candidate? And given that HRC won New Mexico, that puzzles me even further...

Unknown said...

Ms. Marvalus - You caused me to update my post (smile). I think it is meaningful that a man who knew Team Clinton as well as Richardson ... and who has such remarkable foriegn policy experience ... and who is the only Hispanic governor in the country ... endorses Obama over Hillary. Obama appears to be ready on Day One according to Richardson ... and also it says something about Richardson's thoughts on the character of Hillary.

What I like best is that Richardson is joining our call for Hillary Clinton to concede the nomination right now!

Anonymous said...

I'm pleased about this endorsement. Good news after some troubling weeks. I think Richardson, like most of us, can have admiration & respect for good friends, but also know their weaknesses.

I think that Richardson has seen what many Americans have seen w/respect to Sen. Clinton and it ain't good.

Villager - you are on my blogroll.

Anonymous said...

I'm doing the happy dance again. Talk about blindsided, yeah, Richardson.

He had no reason to endorse Obama, he was friends with the Clintons, their relationship goes back before Monica Lewinsky, Hillary won his state, the Latino votes favored Hillary...

I don't know what was said, but thank you. Now let's wear John Edwards down.

Unknown said...

Well, well, well that is a shocker! But then again I bet if HRC wasn't running, Bill would vote for Barack!

Unknown said...

Danielle - Asante sana for the blogroll-love!

Mrs. Grapevine - Excuse me while I take a moment to imagine your happy dance ... ... ... OK, I'm back! Yeah, next step is John Edwards, although I hear he is leaning towards Hillary Clinton.

Regina - I dunno. The way that Team Clinton is on such a love affair with John McCain, I'm not sure that they wouldn't be secretly voting for McCain over Obama...

Jackie said...

Whew! A break in the bad news express. Gov. Richardson always to me to truly care about this nation. Yayyyy to his timely endorsement.

Vanessa said...

This endorsement is great for Obama. It's intersting how the Clinton camp tried to diminish its importance implying that it's too late and Richardson can only influence Hispanics in TX.

Unknown said...

Jackie - Thank you for sharing your village voice with us. I visited your blog today and enjoyed it very much. Anyhow, I hope that the bad news bottomed out for Obama and he can begin to rise again...

Vanessa - I agree that this was a great endorsement. I also noticed that Team Clinton couldn't hold back the anger showing in their public reaction to this endorsement...