March 9, 2008

Electronic Village Milestone: 500 Posts!


Our Electronic Village just passed the 500-post milestone this weekend. We began on this blogging journey about 400 days ago on January 13, 2007. It has been invigorating to watch our online community grow over time as we passed other milestones: My overall goal with this blog is to provide information and discussion that is uplifting for people of African descent. Often this means sharing information through the blog that is not readily available in the mainstream media (MSM).

The blog now has over 300 visitors a day right now with about 500 daily page views. There are over 1,000 incoming links over the past year. I have never met many of you, nor have I had a chance to say 'asante sana' in person or via email. I hope you know how much I appreciate the good vibrations that you send each and every time that you visit our Electronic Village.

There are over 200 of you that subscribe to our blog. I hope to increase that number to over 500 by mid-year. If you like the flow of our blog ... then I encourage you to take a moment to subscribe to the Electronic Village.

I am no different than the other 960+ bloggers of African descent. I simply write on topics that interest me and it is serendipity when the world shows up. My favorite topics over these 500 posts have been about politics, Obama and criminal justice.

You get what you measure. Our metrics over the first 500 posts have been interesting to watch. We note the date (in parenthesis) when we set personal bests on the Electronic Village:

  • Highest Feedburner Subscribers - 224 (3/5/08)
  • BlogCatalog Ranking - 60.7 out of 100 (11/28/07)
  • Highest Technorati Authority Ranking - 261 (2/23/08)
  • # Blogs Between EV and #1 Blog in the World - 19,658 (2/24/08)
  • # Blogs Linking to EV - 1,055 (3/5/08)
  • # Bloggers listing us as a 'favorite' - 88 (1/28/08)
  • Top Daily Visitors - 710 (11/26/07).
We're not Bossip.com, but, we do our best! I have no idea where the next 500 posts will take us. However, I pledge to be consistent in efforts to grow our Electronic Village community. I hope that you will regularly sit underneath our baobob tree and enjoy dialogue with other elders in our village. Let's share information, ideas and thoughts with one another in an effort to grow and improve!

500 posts! Asante sana!

23 comments:

Invisible Woman said...

Asante sana! I am coming up on my 500th post as well...who knew when we started that there were so many like minded folkses out there? Wonderful :-)

Deidra said...

Congrats Villager!!! I'm climbing 500 posts too - I'm at 350+ now. But lately I've been so obsessed with updating. I can't stick to just one post a day. It's very hard for me lol.

I'm glad your blog existed. I still can't fathom how there are 900+ black blogs out there. I knew we were somewhere - we just all have to come together. And you are doing that very well Villager :)

Wax Poetic said...

Exciting News Villager. I'm at 671 and counting. You and Deidra will probably both pass me before long. God Bless!

Unknown said...

IW, Deidra and Shawn - Do you celebrate your blogging milestones with a post like this one? Also, do you keep track of your metrics in any manner?

Deidra - Hopefully many of us will be in Atlanta for the Blogging While Brown conference...

field negro said...

Congrats fam. keep dropping wisdom in the village.

Looking forward to post# 1,000.

Peace.

Marvalus said...

Congratulations, Villager! You are truly an inspiration!

I am working my way up to 250 posts (I'm at 177)...

Unknown said...

Field and Marvalus - Asante sana! You both are inspirations for me and many other bloggers out here. I look forward to learning mroe and more from the flow on each of your blogs...

Unknown said...

Congrats Villager, another awesome milestone for you!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, man. You're awesome. And as far as celebrating milestones, I celebrate blogoversaries, because that's the way to go for me. I only post 3x a week, and at 52 weeks a year, it'll take me 4-5 years to get to 500+ posts. Do your thing, man, and congrats.

Unknown said...

Jose - I admire your discipline! My goal is to post at least once daily. Sometimes there is more than one thing that strikes my fancy...

Black Women in Europe said...

Congratulations! And thanks for the support you've given to the Black WOmen in Europe blog!

Here's to 500 more posts.

Unknown said...

Adrianne - Asante sana! How many posts are you up to on your blog now? Do you recognize these types of milestones?

Anonymous said...

You can't see me, but I am doing the happy dance.

Congratulations, I feel honored to be amongst such great minds. Thanks for keeping us updated on issues that matter to blacks.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Villager! It's always a pleasure to come here. keep up the good work and let's have 500 more.

Unknown said...

Mrs. Grapevine - That is one heckuva happy dance my sista! Thank you for the kind words...

Danielle - Asante sana! Our of curiousity, are you subscribed via Feedburner to this blog?

Mes Deux Cents said...

Hi Villager,

Congrats on 500! You have made this blog into one of the most important blogs in the blogisphere!

Unknown said...

Regina and MDC - I appreciate your comments and your support. I hope you are subscribed to this blog. I look forward to evolving even more over the coming weeks and months...

Anonymous said...

Here is a spotlight interview with a Black Blogger and rising star in Science Blogging http://scienceblogs.com/clock/2008/03/start_them_early_interview_wit.php

I think it's worth a read and re-posting on Electronic Village - it's a celebration of postive Black Roles models and blogging and The EV is the best place share this great story.

Unknown said...

Anon - Thank you for the referral to Karen Ventii. She is a remarkable young woman. I posted about her on my other blog...

Paris David said...

Oh my goodness, Wayne - I just realized -- Is that your pic?

Yay! Yay!

Congrats on the 500 posts.

Your blog is amazing

Unknown said...

Paula - Thank you for the kind words. I truly want to use you as a role model to begin to monetize my blog efforts. Any advice on where I should begin?

Anonymous said...

Just came across your blog and I'm going through your archives - keep up the great work! Thanks also for the black bloggers rankings - its great to know there's so many of us!

Unknown said...

Tracey - I appreciate your kind words. Your blog, Black Gives Back is BBR #269...