March 7, 2008

Could MS-13 Be Involved in Jamiel Shaw's Murder?

Villagers, we live in dangerous times. Hillary Clinton is not a monster. But, we have some true monsters in our communities. We reported earlier this week about the senseless murder of 15-year old Jamiel Shaw. He attended my alma mater, LA High School. Our high school colors are blue & white. Could his death be at the hands of the MS-13 gang?

Jamiel Shaw's nine year old brother asked his father, Jamiel Shaw Sr., "Are they going to kill me too?" What type of world do we live in when a 9-year old is worrying about being shot to death?

"I don't see it as black and brown. I see it as a gang problem," said Jamiel's father. "I don't want anybody to think this is a racial thing."

Jamiel Shaw Sr. may be right. Today, I learned about MS-13. I must live in a bubble. I never heard of this crew until today. Yet, this gang is in 33 states and has over 10,000 members. The FBI states that it is the fastest-growing and most violent criminal organization in the nation.




The gang colors? Blue & White after the colors of the El Salvadoran flag. Makes me wonder about the blue & white colors worn by the LA High Roman football player gunned down for no reason. Could MS-13 be the ones responsible for the death of young Jamiel Shaw?

12 comments:

Woozie said...

They tell me MS-13 used to be real big here in Rockville until the police did the one thing that never fails-hit the streets. I think the gang ran to Northern Virginia, D.C., and neighboring P.G. County.

My middle school's colors were blue and white, I wonder if Mara Salvatrucha ever gave them any problems.

Unknown said...

Woozie - Yeah...the YouTube video specifically mentions that MS-13 is running wild in Northern Virginia...

Unknown said...

The sad reality is that this murder was one of a spate of shootings in the area. I wrote about it on my blog yesterday. The day after Jamiel was murdered a small boy was shot in the head in the vicinity as he and his family drove to an auto auction. I don't know if you heard about the shooting at the bus stop about two weeks ago, as well as a shoot-out with cops. I am not sure if it is MS-13, but there are many more gangs that have taken root in California and other cities. Too bad the mainstream media is not covering this as it should. I really didn't hear it on the news, but I did grab the story from Fox.

Unknown said...

Janet - I honestly never heard of the MS-13 until yesterday. It truly is a dangerous world for our youngsters...

Vida said...

Janet, I blogged about Jamiel's death as well, and also sent a letter to Mayor Villaraigosa expressing my dismay with the way the city has been handling brown-and-black conflict. It would be good to show solidarity with the Shaw family by attending Jamiel's memorial or funeral. Here is the info:

A public viewing will be held Monday at Inglewood Cemetery Mortuary, located at 3801 W Manchester Blvd., from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.

A funeral service will be held Tuesday at 11 a.m. at the West Angeles Cathedral located at 3600 Crenshaw Blvd.

Unknown said...

Vida - Thank you for the information about the services and viewing. I'm going to update the story with that information...

Anonymous said...

Ms13not at all suspected in the murder of Jamiel Shaw. Please do not start jumping to conclusions because this will only compound the efforts to catch whoever did this to him. There is a $55,000 reward for information leading to the capture of the individuals responsible for this. On behalf of the Family I would like to express our gratitude for the thoughts and prayers of everyone worldwide who has shown us love in this difficult time. If you have any information please call LAPD and if you don't want to talk to that's fine too but you can let us know anonymously by stopping by the 2100 block of 5th avenue in Los Angeles. Thank You and God Bless.....Cousin of Jamiel Shaw

Anonymous said...

Also to add to the information regarding service times and dates....The repast will be held on the 2100 Block of 5th avenue in Los Angeles...Furthermore there is a memorial on this same street to my cousin Jamiel Shaw please feel free to show your support and condolences by visiting and leaving candles, flowers, or nothing at all. Thank You again....

Unknown said...

Anon - Point well taken...

Anonymous said...

jamiel shaw jr was 17, not 15. Get your information corrected

thank you

Mo said...

I took a class over the summer at school & we discussed gangs & watched a few documentaries & saw...stuff. You'd be surprised how well organized and how far reaching they are. Its pretty disturbing.

Unknown said...

Kieya - I've been blessed to have little real-world experience with gangs, even though I got my K-12 education in Los Angeles and lived within the boundaries of so-called South-Central LA.

Oddly enough, this post is my most clicked-on page today. I wonder what is driving the traffic here? Perhaps others in your class (smile)...