July 1, 2008

Top Ten Black Blogs (Jul 2008)


Today, we are proud to share with you Villager's Black Blog Rankings (BBR) for July 2008 with 1,269 blogs in the mix! Have you seen the growth over the past few months?

Anyhow, with no further ado, here are the Top Ten Black Blogs for July 2008:

  1. Pam Spaulding: Pam's House Blend (Authority: 1,117 / Rank: 2,303) - [Politics] I told you last month that Pam would be in the #1 slot as a result of being credentialed to blog on the floor of the Democratic National Convention. Pam's blog should continue to rise over the coming weeks as we move towards that historic event in Denver. As an aside, Pam is celebrating her 4th anniversary today! I'm told that Pam visits with us every once in awhile ... so feel free to send her some Village-love in the 'comments' section.

  2. The Bossip: Bossip.com (Authority: 1,037 / Rank: 2,650) - [Entertainment] Bossip.com is BBR #2 for the first time in five months. The Bossip works hard to say on top of new trends. They are currently encouraging their blog readers to get the most current information by telephone. I remain hopeful that we will get some 'link-love' from The Bossip to support our efforts here on da Village!

  3. ESKAY: Nah Right (Authority: 955 / Rank: 2,909) - [Entertainment] ESKAY is doing some powerful things with the blog he created in May 2005. This blog moves into the BBR #3 slot for the first time ever. I know that I have nothing but props for Nah Right because they provided me with an update on Gil Scott-Heron. ESKAY provided this blog with our highest 'hit' days when he provided a link on his blog back in May 2008.

  4. Angel Laws: Concrete Loop (Authority: 954 / Rank: 2,946) - [Entertainment] Angel Laws, a 23-year-old college student in Jacksonville, NC, started this blog as a hobby. I'm going to spend some time this month to ensure that all of the blogs on Angel's Dope Sites & Blogs that are Black-owned are included on our Black Blog Rankings. At some point, perhaps our Electronic Village will get some play on her blogroll as well!

  5. Oliver Willis: Oliver Willis (Authority: 715 / Rank: 4,502) - [Politics] Oliver began his blog in April 2005. Oliver is a credentialed blogger at the Democratic National Convention in Denver CO later this year. Oliver wants a one-on-one interview with former vice president Al Gore. If anyone can make it happen ... I'm sure that Oliver will get it done!

  6. Natasha Eubanks: Young, Black & Fabulous (Authority: 686 / Rank: 4,781) - [Entertainment] Natasha is a 25-year old law student in Washington DC. Her blog has been at or near the top of all Black celebrity gossip sites since she created it back in June 2005. Sis. Eubanks ish is so good that she has her own vocabulary. For example, 'CGU: (n.) Acronym for Curvy Girls Unite. An organization started by myself that is composed of the fabulous chicks who are thicker than your average Jan.'

  7. Sandra Rose: Sandra Rose (Authority: 490 / Rank: 7,902) - [Entertainment] Sandra Rose is Atlanta's go-to-photographer when it comes to all things celebrity. I will be in Atlanta for the Blogging While Brown Conference later this month. I hope that Sis. Rose is able to stop by and take some photos of these powerful Black bloggers seeking to educate and support one another. I understand she only gives link-love to blogs that she follows or posts that she links to. Hopefully, we will make the cut this month!

  8. Fresh Crunkjuice: Crunk & Disorderly* (Authority: 452 / Rank: 8,585) - [Entertainment] This gossip blog, created in August 2004, is in the middle of a transition to a new domain. The new domain is rising fast on the BBR. I anticipate that his other blog will crack the Top 10 shortly ... it is currently sitting at BBR #18.

  9. Jack Turner and Jill Tubman: Jack and Jill Politics* (Authority: 444 / Rank: 8,800) - [Politics] JJP is another Black political blog credentialed to be on the floor of the 2008 National Democratic Convention in Denver later this summer. JJP made a major move this past weekend to their own domain. More and more we see that the influential Black blogs are taking control of their own destiny by having their own domain names. That fine sista in the phot is Jill Tubman.

  10. Tempest: The Angry Black Woman (Authority: 425 / Rank: 9,312) - [Social Commentary] Tempest focuses her blog on issues related to sexism and racism. Her blog provides a safe space for talking about these and other related issues. As the sister says, "We can’t stop being angry until the fight is over. And the fight is far from over, kids." I encourage all villagers to support the Clarion West Write-a-Thon!

HONORABLE MENTION (11-25): The Field Negro*, How To Split An Atom, Real Talk NY Provides The Latest Hip Hop News, What About Our Daughters*, AfroBella, La Shawn Barber's Corner, Necole Bitchie, Crunk & Disorderly, Angry Black Bitch, Entre mes Lignes, Love B. Scott, Raw Dawg Buffalo, Too Sense, Keith Boykin and Ill Doctrine


The only qualification is that the blogger needs to be of African descent. The blogger does not have to be a member of The AfroSpear or the Afrosphere Bloggers Association, although we invite all Black bloggers to join either (or both) of those organizations.

Those blogs with an asterisk after their name are members of The AfroSpear.

Black Blog Rankings lean heavily on the Technorati Authority and Rank score for each blog. The Technorati authority and rank numbers are shown in parenthesis. The authority figure includes a number of factors including the number of blogs that are linked to this blogger over the past six months. The rank number indicates how many blogs are between the person listed and The Huffington Post, which is the #1 overall blog in the universe.

We do think that these Black blogs are important spheres of influence. Let them know that you appreciate the work they have put in over the past few months and years to get on this list. My vision is that many of the brothers and sisters on this month's BBR will join us later this month at the Blogging While Brown conference in Atlanta, GA on July 25-27, 2008.

Finally, I encourage all bloggers to provide some link-love to this post so that your readers can learn about the Villager's Black Blog Rankings! Next step is yours ... what say u?

41 comments:

Unknown said...

Villager - great work as usual, but I think your .pdf links to last months list.

DP

Pam Spaulding said...

Many thanks, EV, for the kind kudos again (and the anniversary wishes) -- and to all of the readers out there. We look forward to bringing diverse perspectives as best we can at the DNCC. It's a weighty responsibility and we're going to work hard.

Unknown said...

DP - Oops! It's been updated. Thanks for the 411...

Pam - We are very proud of the work that you and your crew do on the #1 Black Blog in the universe! I look forward to seeing your reports from the DemConvention. As an aside, what do you do for a living? Are you a journalist?

Manchild said...

Hello Villager,

Excellent choices! Congratulations to all the honorees!

Manchild

Jill Tubman said...

Much love Wayne. Thanks for the photo and kind words. We've posted this over at JJP. This is important work that you are doing and which needs to be done. Thanks for all you do.

Unknown said...

Manchild - Asante sana! Let us know if you come across Black blogs that are not included on our list...

Jill - I posted Baratunde's photo the last few months. I enjoyed posting yours much more (smile)! I wish you well with the new blog platform. I guess I will need to make that move sooner or later...

glory said...

I understand the Technorati methodology, but I can't help but wonder: can readers nominate their favorites? One of my favorites that isn't on the list is fabulousfinancials.com, by Single Ma. It's entertaiing and informative.

Don said...

thanks villager.

i am always down to check out new blogs. i'm an avid reader of Field Negro.

Unknown said...

Glory - You don't have to nominate. Simply inform me when a Black-owned & operated blog is missing. Fabulous Financials is now showing up as BBR #55...

Don - I think that Field Negro is my fav blogger and blog. It amazes me how many comments he gets for every post that he leaves. It also amazes me that he has such a powerful writing style. I agree with you. In fact, I would say that Field is my blogging role model...

Shelia said...

Hey Villager! Sending you much respect for continuing this effort. I appreciate your work as well as being included on the list. Let me know if I can ever be of assistance. I realize that this kind of work is time consuming.

Have a great Fourth of July!

Unknown said...

Shelia - Just keep doing what you're doing! It has been wonderful to watch your blog rise up the rankings over the past few months. I see that you are BBR #33! I figure that you are the top-ranked SPORTS-themed blog on the list...

AAW said...

Thanks for the shout-out Villager. And much props for the work you do.

Unknown said...

AAW - You and the other bloggers are the ones pulling the weight. I'm simply showcasing y'all in one place at one time. I encourage you to share information about the Black Blog Rankings with your blog readers. Have you set a goal for your blog's progress over the coming months?

msladyDeborah said...

Hotep Villager,

I read some of those blogs and they are dynamic! Congratulations to those who are in the top ten and the honorable mention folks.

I am glad to see that GSH is out and working again! That was a good article~even though I am a birth mother of hip hop nation members.

Unknown said...

Lady D - It is evident that GSH lifestyle took a toll on his body. I am glad to see that Mos Def gave him an opportunity to show us that he's alive and still bringin' it. Heck, I joined the GSH Facebook group earlier this evening!

Pam Spaulding said...

As an aside, what do you do for a living? Are you a journalist?

I am the IT Manager at Duke University Press, so I have a FT day job. The Blend is the OTHER job, so you can imagine -- I don't sleep much. :)

AAW said...

Villager,

I've tracked the progress of my blog with "Feedburner" and I do have a Technorati profile (authority of 3 at the moment).

Though I wonder what's wrong with me when I'm going through a major transition in my career, started a very intense course (one of a few) for state required exams and still writing. But I'm better off that way juggling a bunch of things.

I'm trying to keep up with the blog and I would love for my authority to be doubled by next month but like I said, I'm extremely busy for the next few months.

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

i finally saw me thank for the love folk, wonder how i made the first page still lol

Anonymous said...

Greetings from spot #456.

My only request is to post the list with the URL's...i guess i could just google the titles i guess.

Heck I am just glad to be a part of history. I look forward to getting my game proper enough to join Afrospear.

Wayne you get major props for this undertaking.

Unknown said...

AAW - You will eventually find a pattern for your blogging that makes it easier for you to keep up. I'm still searching for the proper blogging habits to keep this blog up & running. It takes time. As Pam Spaulding (BBR #1) once shared with us ... just find your 'authentic voice' and share it on your blog for your blog readers...

Torrance - You bring a unique style to the afrosphere. That is probably one reason for your success. Also, I notice that you visit other blogs and share your thoughts and wisdom as a 'commenter' often. That helps as well. Just keep doing what you do...

Unknown said...

IncogNegro - Your blog has risen to BBR #419! Keep doing what you do. In fact, you may want to let your blog readers know about your place in these rankings...

Anonymous said...

great site and interesting rankings. I'd love to get my blog added to the mix:

JNez is a thirtysomething stay at home Dad triumphing over HIV/AIDS & depression who posts about his victories and defeats as a black male and father in cadence. Check me out: www.thirtydaes.com

Unknown said...

ThirtyDaes - Your blog is BBR #448...

Monica Roberts said...

Thanks again Villager for all you do to uplift the black blogosphere.

I'm happy that my people are leaving comments on TransGriot these days, send me e-mail as to how much they love the blog and some of my blogging role modelsare telling me how much they like it.

make all those 2 and 3 AM nights I spend coming up with insightful commentary worth it.

One thig I would like to ask all the Villagers who like it is to link to it please and send me yours so i can reciprocate.

I'm planning to be at the Blogging While Brown Conference in the ATL later this month and hope to meet you and many of my fellow Afrobloggers there.

Unknown said...

Monica - I just popped over to your blog. You are doing great work and it is no accident that your blog continues to rise in the BBR. For what it's worth, you have risen in the first few days of this month to BBR #117 with your Technorati ranking of 100. Currently, your Technorati ranking would need to be over 117 to break into the BBR Top 100...

Hathor said...

How do you know if a blogger is black?

Unknown said...

Hathor - In most cases the blog or blogger identify themselves as such. However, I've made mistakes in the past. A blog called 'Stereohyped' was on the list in the Top 10 before a reader showed me that they were white-owned (albeit Black-operated)...

Unknown said...

I just want to say thank you! I found this link and rejoiced to find a gathering place for my brothas and sistas. I have found some new blogs to check out and support. It is great to see such a diversity of voices and causes.

Keep up the great work!

Karen

Unknown said...

Karen - Thank you for sharing your village voice with us! I encourage you to invite your blog readers to learn more about the Black Blog Rankings. You can tell them that your blog (Words for Hire) is now BBR #972...

OG, The Original Glamazon said...

This is exactly what I've been looking for a site to find blogs of all topics and persuasions. I'm glad I found you!

Thank you my black blog world just got much bigger.


-OG

Unknown said...

OG - I appreciate your kind words. I hope that you make some great connections with the other brothers and sisters on this list!

Geoffrey Philp said...

Great job, Villager!

I know the work it takes to compile lists like these, so I congratulate you on this.

Blessings,
Geoffrey

Unknown said...

Geoffrey - Asante sana! Please feel free to share this information with those on your blog. I don't think that we have many of the Carribean or Jamaican bloggers on the Black Blog Rankings as of yet...

Political Season said...

As always, the BBR is a must read for the day. I don't know that my effort at the Season will ever break into the top ranks, but we keep pulling. I just dig that we've got our own thing too, and a spot where we recognize and encourage each other. Its something we we could do a lot more in the offline world.

Geoffrey Philp said...

Villager, it's posted

Unknown said...

Geoffrey - Asante sana!

Aaron - I just checked and see that your blog moved up to BBR #221...

Keith said...

Was really surprised to find my blog on the list..(I was 1088) but
just happy that I was recognized at
all. Thanks again.

BillyBob said...

Nice racism...black blogs?

What about top 10 white blogs...top 10 mexican blogs...top 10 asian blogs?

I love the double standard of black racism in this country. If I were to list top 10 white blogs I would be a racist, but you're just another nigger with "pride"...good for you.

Keep it coming...one day you're going to push your hand just a little too far and whites will strike back with a fury.

Unknown said...

BillyBob - You simply bring voice to what many of us already know ... white privilege and white supremacy thoughts exist in many of the smiling faces we see each day.

Keith's Spaces - Just keep working to improve your blog over time. Set a goal ... for example, your immediate goal should be to get into the BBR Top 1000!

Unknown said...

I had no idea that Highbrid Nation had moved up that far on the list. Bout to break that top 25!

vania love said...

very nice
I want to know more then
peace..

mad2vania vania love blog