July 28, 2008

Blogging While Brown Conference is Huge Success


'Villagers', I gotta tell you that the Blogging While Brown conference that I attended over the past weekend was an unqualified success!

This event was truly momentus event for Black bloggers. The attendance was greater than expected with the polticians from the Republican and Libertarian party ... the corporate sponsors ... the three blogging ad networks ... ColorOfChange executive flying in from the Bay Area ... and a number of brothers and sisters who came because they are interested in starting a blog.

I anticipate that 5-6 new Black bloggers will spring up in the next week or so as a direct result of this BWB Conference.

I met brothers and sisters from California, North Carolina, Florida, Texas, Ohio, Massachusetts, Washington DC, New York, Georgia, Washington (state) and Connecticut.

Many others took advantage of the live streaming provided by Theo Johnson on Ustream.tv and more received onsite feedback via Twitter and live blogging posting.

One of the most remarkable aspects of the event was the number of powerful Bloggers at the top of the Black Blog Rankings who took time out of their schedule to attend in person. These powerful blogs included: Pam's House Blend (BBR #1), Necole Bitchie (#16), What About Our Daugthers (#17), Clutch Magazine (#25) and Electronic Village (#26).

The conference was held at the largest convention center in Georgia (the Georgia World Congress Center) and the hotel accomodations were outstanding ... Hilton Atlanta Downtown. The conference registrants were treated with respect with 'goodie bags' containing SWAG from conference sponsors and complimentary meals and complimentary transportation from hotel to the conference.

I can't wait to get that photo of the conference registrants ... it will be something that I cherish ... knowing that I had a part in the 1st ever international conference for, by and about bloggers of color. I've already seen benefits ... Saturday traffic to my blog was much higher than normal ... and the number of new Twitter followers that I rec'd yesterday blew me away!

Anyhow, I give nothing but props to Gina McCauley and the sponsors that made the event possible. I appreciate those AfroSpear members who were able to make it ... as well as those that supported the effort in a variety of ways. Suffice to say I look forward to being an early registrant for the 2nd annual Blogging While Brown effort.

You can see other perspectives in the BWB Facebook group! Now that the event is over ... what are your thoughts about it?

17 comments:

Vanessa said...

Congratulations, Villager! I'm looking forward to reading more about the conference. I saw the webcast that Theo posted and it was fabulous.

Kudos to all of you and prayerfully I can make it next year.

Peace - Light - Love

Old School Fridays said...

It just make me hate I missed it more and more. I'm so proud of you guys, and I can't wait to be apart of the next one. I am honored to around such great individuals in the blogsphere, and I know y'all do it out of passion and love for black people. Keep up the good work, and if anyone says anything negative, I will put them in their place.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the coverage between you and Dallas South, I feel like I was there...

Old School Fridays said...

Oh yeah, and here's to years more...

Unknown said...

Vanessa & Mrs. Grapevine - Thank you very much for your comments. It truly was a remarkable event. We've created a Facebook page and that is where we are gathering all the links that we can find from those that attended and such. Vanessa, I see that you are already part of that group. Mrs. Grapevine ... do you have a Facebook account?

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

too bad i aint get to meet u folk

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

jones
i aint got no face book page
im a lame

Unknown said...

Torrance - I wasn't able to make the Friday night meet-n-greet. I saw photo with you & ATLien. I'll be back in Atlanta on Aug 6-9. Maybe then...

HeyShae! said...

Sounds like it was fun as well as a successful event. Congrats to all my fellow brown bloggers.

Unknown said...

Shae-Shae - It was da bomb! If you are on facebook then check out the group where we are gathering all of the links and photos -- http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=25116341439

LISA VAZQUEZ said...

Hey Villager!

Welcome back to your keyboard, and it's great that you enjoyed the conference!!

How did your workshop go? Was the response to your presentation what you had expected? Your outline looked excellent!

Peace, blessings and DUNAMIS!
Lisa

ATLien said...

Great Conference...Great Discussions...Great Panalists and Great Speakers. Thank you Villager for your contribution to making this conference a success!

Anonymous said...

Hey Villager.

Wow. Sounds like it was great, and I'm even more sorry now I wasn't able to make it. Funds weren't quite in alignment this time around. But next year I seriously hope my wife and I - who just started her own blog - will be able to make it.

Unknown said...

Lisa - The only slight downside for my presentation was the timing ...it was the final workshop of the day and it had been pushed back by almost an hour to 4:45 or so because earlier panel discussion went overtime. However, the audience seemed attentive and had questions and comments. It turns out that my workshop was streaming live on Ustream.tv courtesy of Theo Johnson. It is still available in recorded format on UStream.tv now. So it is all yours to watch and critique (or learn from) on your own!

ATLien - It was wonderful to see the vivaciousness of YOU behind the Atlanta 'A' logo! I look forward to working in collaboration with you over the coming weeks and months. In fact, I'm back in Atlanta on Aug 6-9 for BDPA conference ... let me know if there are any good Hotlanta events I should be checking out while I'm there!

Keith - It was da bomb diggity bomb! I look forward to seeing both you & your better half next year. Save money using Priceline.com. I got my room for something like $70/night at 4-star hotel (Hyatt Regency) using priceline.com...

Tayo (AllTayo.com) said...

I just want to say that I was at the conference and throughly enjoyed myself. It was great meeting people face-to-face.

Real talk, your presentation was one of my favorites, Villager. And I left ATL so inspired. I'd love to see more people next year (in Dallas, it's looking like)

Unknown said...

Tayo - Asante sana for the kind words about my workshop. I appreciate Gina for giving me the opportunity. I look forward to visiting your blog more often in the coming weeks and months...

Monica Roberts said...

Due to some last minute complications with my work schedule I couldn't attend (and was bummed out the entire weekend)

I know the 2nd one will be bigger and better, but it sure would have been nice to be there and meet y'all last weekend.

Unknown said...

Monica - There are photos, videos and retrospectives all over the web. Just google 'Blogging While Brown'. You can also find many of us on Facebook in a page that is dedicated to 'Blogging While Brown'...