July 5, 2008

Venus Beats Serena at Wimbledon



Venus Williams won Wimbledon singles championship today. She has now won this grand slam tournament five times. I imagine that she is one of the best grass court players of all time.

She is probably one of the best female tennis players of all time. She was formerly ranked as the World No. 1 tennis player. Venus has won the Olympic gold medal in women's tennis and 15 Grand Slam titles, including seven singles (five at Wimbledon), six women's doubles, and two mixed doubles titles. Venus holds the record for the fastest serve ever recorded by a female player (129 mph).

No point in feeling sorry for her younger sister, Serena. Serena won many matches in the past ... and she will win many more in the future. I guess the best way to think about it is as follows -- "May the best Williams win!"

And the one with the biggest smile on his face is their father, Richard Williams. He is a strange guy ... but, no doubt he will go down as one of the greatest sports fathers of all time! He wins everytime either Serena or Venus win.

Did you enjoy Breakfast with Wimbledon this morning? What do you think about Venus Williams?

8 comments:

The Fitness Diva said...

I think Venus has really come into her own as a tennis player. Both sisters have finally grown into their game. They could both dominate the field for many more years if they just keep the mind game straight. When a Williams loses, it's usually because she beat herself.

Funny thing is, just a few years ago folks were counting them out, thinking that they were fading into the distance. Well, SURPRISE!!! They're Baaaa-aaaack!

And I'm rooting for them always, every step of the way! :)
I love it when sistas show that they can conquer the world!

Unknown said...

Fitness Diva - Venus truly did look majestic as she went thru the entire Wimbledon tournament without dropping a set. And both of them appear to be quite fit ... which probably makes them fitness divas as well (smile)...

Marvalus said...

I got up early this morning to watch the match and I'm glad I did! It was a sight to see!

LISA VAZQUEZ said...

Hey there Villager!

Thanks so much for celebrating the Williams' sistas!

I love what they have done for the sport! They are champions on and OFF the court.

Peace, blessings and DUNAMIS!
Lisa

Unknown said...

Marvalus - Whoever came up with the tagline, "Breakfast at Wimbledon" for NBC needs to get a bonus every year. It definitely reminded me to get up early to watch yesterday ... and I'm looking forward to seeing Nadal-Federer later this morning as well.

Lisa - It is a pleasure to honor two such wonderful Black women. They are talented and they are excellent role models for others...

Liz Dwyer said...

They both rock the house. I missed the match due to family stuff but I was just dying to know which sister won! They are so amazing.

I will say it still irks me to no end that it seems they don't get all the hype they are truly due because they aren't Anna Kournikova, but I'm sure neither one is thinking about that today.

Unknown said...

LosAngelista - These two sisters are probably two of the most famous folks to come outta Compton. The sad thing is to realize how many more championships that they might have won if not for the violent death of their sister.

Are you a tennis player?

Ann Brock said...

It was a great match and I was up early to watch. I really don't like to see the two sisters play each other because I want both of them to win.