July 18, 2008

Still No Respect from Dog the Bounty Hunter Sponsors


A&E Network is actually one of my favorite locations on television. There are a number of syndicated shows and original programming from that network that I enjoy watching. So, I am very disappointed at the decision of the network to bring back a self-proclaimed racist, Duane 'Dog' Chapman back on the air. Last month I joined many others in a Day of Blogging for Media Respect to protest this decision. A&E Network did not budge on their decision to bring back Chapman's show.

The next step is simple. Identify the A&E Network advertisers who support this show. We will alert the broader public about those Dog-sponsors. After all, sponsoring Duane Chapman's show is a sign that these companies have little or no respect for their African American customers. Duane Chapman should not be able to profit for his racially-motivated vitriol and hatred [see video].

You can read the press release from the Afrosphere Action Coalition here.

5 comments:

LISA VAZQUEZ said...

Hey there Villager!

I put a link on my blog that directs readers to your post about the protest!

If the readers click on the lady's foot on my blog, they wind up at your post.... clever huh? (smile)

I've had it set up for quite a while...

Peace, blessings and DUNAMIS!
Lisa

Unknown said...

Lisa - Asante sana! I don't hold out much hope on this one. A&E is going for the money that Dog's show brings them. Someone told me that it was their most profitable show...

Mitch said...

I'm going to offer a different take on this, if I may. Though I don't excuse the language he used, that we all got to hear in what was supposed to be a private conversation, there are two truths I've noticed.

One, there are many famous white people who probably say the same exact things, but have been able to make sure they keep it out of the range of microphones. Heck, even Jesse Jackson, who should know better, threw the epithet, as well as some other stuff, at Barack Obama.

Two, there hasn't been a single black person who knows Dog who has come out and said they've ever felt he was a racist in how he interacted with them. Even his paster, who came out and said he was disappointed in hearing the comments, said that he was never anything but gracious and nice to him, and that he'd known him for years. I mean, do racists go to black churches?

Dog made a mistake; he thought because he knew black people pretty well he could talk like one. He learned a lesson; I'm not going to beat him up forever on it. And I don't watch his show, so I have nothing vested in it being on or off the air. I think his rant was much different than the rant of Michael Richards; now, you notice we still haven't heard anything about him in a long time?

Unknown said...

Mitch - I respect that your right to a different opinion. My mama taught me that two wrongs don't make a right. The fact that Jessie lobbed N-bombs doesn't excuse Dog. My mama also taught me that character is how you act when nobody is looking. Dog showed himself to be a man of low character. As such, I feel no obligation to support his career ... or the sponsors that still advertise on his show.

That's just my take on it...

Unknown said...

It's one year later. Is he off the air yet?