January 5, 2010

Tune In Tuesday: Star Trek

I went to the movies last week to see Avatar. The theatre was sold-out. I enjoyed it very much. I look forward to watching it again when it goes to DVD. Oddly, none of my children seemed eager to see Avatar. 

My children don't have an itch for science fiction as I did when I was younger. Science fiction used to amaze me in books ... at the movies ... even on television. I suspect that the current generation of young 'uns experiences such a rapid evolution of technology that things we used to think of as 'fiction' have become 'fact'. 

Were any of you Star Trek fans back in the day? I recall the enjoyment of watching Star Trek: Voyager and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine when they were both out. I knew that I was going to be glued to my television set when the theme music from either show came on:







I think that young villagers are missing out on great memories if they aren't reading sci-fi novels by Arthur C. Clarke or Robert Heinlein or Larry Niven. I think that young villagers who do not know the Ferengi Rules of Acquistion have an incomplete education.

Are there any other science fiction fans in the village?

4 comments:

Gunfighter said...

Well, you have been reading my blog for a while, so you KNOW that I am totally down with Star Trek. I frequently list James T. Kirk as a character who helped to forge me as a young man.

It probably won't surprise you to know that I count Heinlein, Niven, and Clarke as some of my early favorites as science fiction writers.

I happen to agree that too many of our youth are turned off from science fiction because it just isn't... you know... cool.

Unknown said...

Gunfighter - OK,let's compare notes and perhaps other villagers will join us.

Which ST series was your favorite? - My favorite was DS9 purely because 'Hawk' was the captain! Also, I liked learning about the Ferengi and the Klingons as I did during that series.

Which Heinlein book is your favorite - My favorite character was Lazurus, the guy who lived forever, however, my favorite book was the first one that I read, 'Stranger in a Strange Land'. The movie with David Bowie was TERRIBLE.

Which Niven book is your favorite - I enjoyed a number of his series, especially Ringworld. However, I probably liked his books with the Kzin the most. I don't have a specific title in mind.

What is your favorite source of sci-fi joy in 2010? - I never watched the 10+ years of SG-1 when it was originally aired. I'm enjoying watching the series now using the DVR feature on my cable TV.

peace, Villager

SpacerGuy said...

Star Trek is awesome, I also remember the shows when they just hit the tv channels. Star Trek was exciting and gave me an essential Trekkie education.

Unknown said...

SpacerGuy - With the ending of the space program as we used to know it due to budget considerations ... I wonder if sci-fi will become more available (or less available) on television in the coming months and years?