January 26, 2010

World Champion Los Angeles Lakers Visit Obama's White House ... sans Brian Winters

I was born and raised in Los Angeles. As such, I've been a Lakers fan for over 50 years ... way before it was popular!

The Lakers that I grew up with were always getting beat by the Boston Celtics or the New York Knicks. I remember when the Lakers from yesteryear like Mel Counts, Happy Hairston, Gail Goodrich, Jerry West and Elgin Baylor. Do you remember any of the Lakers from back in the day?


My favorite Lakers player back then was a guy named Brian Winters. I thought the Lakers made a mistake in 1975 when they acquired Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and reserve center Walt Wesley from the Milwaukee Bucks for center Elmore Smith, guard Brian Winters, and rookie "blue chippers" Dave Meyers and Junior Bridgeman.

Anyhow, I say all that to say ... it brought a smile to my face when I saw that President Obama was hanging with the Lakers today in the White House:





I do think that it is somewhat sad that Chicago Bulls' fans, like Obama, can't pay homage to the Lakers without bringing up Michael Jordan and other long-past days of glory...

No comments: