Amnesty International has just released plans for a Global Day of Action for Troy Davis. Amnesty International has designated May 19th for groups and individuals around the world to organize demonstrations, vigils, teach-ins or any other public event in an effort to show Georgia that the executing Troy Davis "would be an unacceptable travesty of justice." As such they are asking the assistance of all in agreement with to be both visible and as loud as possible.
In an effort to show Georgia that the whole world is watching, the Global Day of Action for Troy Davis will be marked by a rally on the Atlanta Capital Steps sponsored by Amnesty International and the NAACP. Other activities being organized throughout the globe include information tables, candlelight vigils, letter-writing campaigns, panel discussions, and public demonstrations. Suggested themes of this global initiative include: "Shout from the Rooftops" - emphasize your outrage at the injustice in this case; you could even hold a demonstration on a rooftop; and "We Are Troy Davis" – emphasize your solidarity with Troy.
I am inviting all villagers to participate in this Global Blogging Day of Action for Troy Davis by writing a post on May 19th. In doing so, include the graphic seen at the beginning of this post as a show of solidarity. This is an official event for the entire blogosphere registered at Amnesty International by Sojourner. I hope you will decide to participate by leaving a comment on this blog. You can also sign-up on Facebook.
It is also important for each of us to take other actions such as:
- Urge Georgia Governor Perdue to exercise leadership on behalf of Troy Davis
- Visit GFADP to see what activists are doing in Georgia.
- Clergy and Religious Leaders can add their name to sign-on letter created by Amnesty International.
- Write a letter to the editor of your local paper. It's quick and easy using the ACLU's website.
- Text "TROY" to 90999 to help spread the word with your cell phone.
Other Available Resources:
- Download a fact sheet on Davis' case
- Read more about innocence on Georgia's death row
- Where is the justice for me?: The case of Troy Davis, facing execution in Georgia
- Listen to Troy tell his story
- View the facts and timeline
- Join the international discussion
- Hear from Troy's sister
- Visit Troy Davis' website