April 8, 2009

'A Good Day to Be Black and Sexy' Directed by Dennis Dortch


I'm a big believer in the concept of Ujamaa. I think that Americans of African descent should support Black business whenever and whereever possible ... including at the movie theatres. We have few movies directed by African Americans available for our viewing pleasure in the first place. So, when one comes out we need to buy or rent it right away.

Drumbeats from the Invisible Woman...Black Cinema at Large pointed us to "A Good Day To Be Black and Sexy" directed by Dennis Dortch. In fact, IW provided us with an online interview with Bro. Dortch in which he candidly answers 7 questions about his movie and the Black cinema.

Here is the trailer for the movie...


A Good Day to be Black & Sexy (The Official Bootleg Trailer) from D. Dortch on Vimeo.

It turns out that you can watch the movie instantly if you are a Netflix customer. That is what I plan to do! What say u?

9 comments:

msladyDeborah said...

I would recommend this film. Thanks to a contest that Invisible Women held on her site, I won a copy of it.

Mac Daddy Tribute Blog said...

Oh yeah!

Sleeperwithheavyeyes said...

I got this on my netflix list, I need to go ahead and watch it so I can do a review. Thanks for highlighting it.

Monica Roberts said...

I'm going to check it out.

Unknown said...

Lady D - Congrats on your IW win! I look forward to seeing this movie based on recommendation from both you and Invisible Women.

Homeland Colors - I've added it to my Netflix account as well.

BrooklynArtist said...

This movie is definitely Black, and I loved all the talented Black actors in it, but there was absolutely nothing sexy about it. Dortch did a wonderful job as director. I cannot be as complimentary about his writing skills. I would recommend adding at least ONE positive vignette of Black love. Black love is not only about cheating husbands, attitudinal sistahs, or young girls giving it up way too early to older men. I applaud Black artists who are making it happen, but we need to come with something better than that.

Invisible Woman said...

Thanks for the shout, oh wise one :-)

I've been out of commission, but I'm on my way back--hope you like the flick!

Unknown said...

BrooklynArtist & IW - I haven't seen the movie yet. It is on my Netflix queue ...and I see that I can watch it online via Netflix as well. I also saw that Gina (What About Our Daughters) gave it a very poor review...

Invisible Woman said...

@ Villager: That makes sense. There have been more than a few occasions when I haven't seen exactly eye to eye with Gina's words, and that's OK.

But that's what art is about, what it means to you. Personally, I have read 99% overwhelmingly positive reviews, and only one negative one (and believe me, I was checking). I found it to be very real. Let me know what you think after you see it...