April 24, 2009

Unique Building * Longaberger Basket Company (Newark, Ohio)

I must admit that I hadn't heard of this building until I saw this photo ... and I live in Ohio! This monument is the world's largest basket, and it's also the seven-story corporate headquarters of the Longaberger Basket Company.

The basket is a replica -- 160 times larger -- of Longaberger's Medium Market Basket. It's 192 ft. long by 126 ft. wide at the bottom, spreading to 208-ft. long by 142-ft. wide at the roofline. It is a magnificent sight -- especially at night.

Dave Longaberger, who founded the company, was the business visionary who not only tapped into the demand for hand-woven party baskets, but who dreamed up the idea of running his growing organization from the world's largest replica of one. His company moved into the Brobdingnagian picnic packer in Newark -- their new corporate headquarters -- on December 17, 1997.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I live in Ohio too and i've never heard of it either. Interesting building. Let's hope they have longevity because it'll be hard to sell.

Kathy said...

Oh my gosh! That's so funny! What a great way to make a building that says something about their business!

Unknown said...

Ingrid - You're right ... nobody other than another basket-maker or a picnic fanatic would purchase that building if the current owner wants to sell it!

Kathy - Quite unique...

SjP said...

Interesting...very interesting

Unknown said...

Sojourner - Everytime I see this building I think of Mother Goose's woman who lived in a shoe...