March 24, 2009

Blogging While Brown Conference * Chicago, IL (June 19-20, 2009)


I am pleased to report that the second annual Blogging While Brown (BWB) Conference will take place on June 19-20, 2009 at the University Center in Chicago. I attended the inaugural BWB Conference earlier this year in Atlanta GA. It appears that next year's event brings more opportunities to network and learn about the issues and concerns that face new media content creators.

The BWB Conference provides an outstanding venue for bloggers of color to meet each other, discuss current issues, and learn about the latest technology. It arose in response to widespread dissatisfaction regarding the lack of diversity in some of the other technology conferences.

Visit the official BWB Conference website to see videos from the first conference (including interviews done by Black Web 2.0), pictures of the conference attendees, reservation information, sponsorship information, and hotel logistics.

A new twist for the BWB Conference is a pre-conference blogging bootcamp aimed at targeting those who still have questions about how to start a blog, how to promote your blog, and how to keep it going. Starting a few hours before the conference, this bootcamp can help any villager who thought that the agenda would only benefit experienced bloggers.

Personally, I hope that BDPA figures out a way to partner with the BWB Conference. Especially in light of the fact that the largest BDPA chapter in the country is located in Chicago.

Anyhow, I plan to attend ... how about you? Click here to reserve your slot!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Villager,

Thanks much for putting this out there. I think I really just might be able to make this one. The timing is right and it's right next door in Chicago which is easy for mean and my wife to drive to.

Hopefully see you there!

Unknown said...

Man! I move to the Central States from the east coast and then the conference moves to that side of the country?!?!
I'll see what I can do...

LISA VAZQUEZ said...

Hey there!

How many people attended the conference this year and how many were expected to attend?

BlogHer had more than 1,000 in attendance at their bloggers conference. While this conference was entirely different, it appears that about 100 were in attendance....a great starting point though.

What do you feel can be done in order to have more attendance next year?

What are the new topics that you feel the bloggers should address at a conference like this?

Peace, blessings and DUNAMIS!
Lisa

C Samuels Jr said...

I plan to attend pending Global Melt down. :-))

Monica Roberts said...

That's close to the date for my family reunion in Houston next summer, but I'm only a five hour drive from Chicago ;)

Unknown said...

Keith - It will be worth the effort. I drove down to Atlanta for the BWB conference last year and I am very glad that I did...

Regina - It will be worth the investment of your time. I hope you make plans to attend. Heck, why don't you plan to be a presenter!

Lisa - I don't know the actual attendance. 100 sounds about right. BlogHer has been in place for many years ... in fact, some of the BlogHer leaders attended BWB conference in Atlanta and demonstrated to me how powerful Twitter.com is as a communications tool! I anticipate larger attendance in Chicago due to more word-of-mouth from those of us that attended last year...

Cliff - You should create some podcast events from it. Do you have any YouTube video experience with BDPA Detroit events?

Monica - I drove 8 hours from Cincinnati to Atlanta last year (smile)....

msladyDeborah said...

Hotep Villager!

Now that I know where the Conference is going to be held~I will be making plans to attend.

Thanks for sharing the information with us.

8thlight said...

I moved to Chicago just in time! I'd love to go!

Sweet!

Unknown said...

Lady D - It's what we do here on the Electronic Village ... share information! I look forward to meeting you in person...

8th Light - Are there many Black bloggers in Chicago?

DNLee said...

I know you once mentioned that I shuold reach out the the BwB organizer but I didn't. I have some mixed feelings about attending the conference, I posted my reflection here:
http://ybpguide.com/2009/03/26/blogging-while-brownabout-science/

Unknown said...

DNLee - I read your post and I understand your angst. I hope you find a way to be there.

I also appreciate your work with the Diversity in Science blog carnival. I'm glad that I was able to paricipate this month...