January 21, 2009

Marion Thorpe (R-Fl), Candidate for US Senate

Drumbeats from Black Politics on the Web let us know that history is being made in Florida. It turns out that Dr. Marion Thorpe is the first African American Republican to run for statewide office in Florida. He plans to run for the US Senate.

Thorpe is a longtime political player in Florida who has toured the state for his work in the Health Care field. In 1998, then Gov. Jeb Bush appointed him to spearhead the State of Florida’s Comprehensive Health Information Systems panel and in 2005 named him Chief Medical Officer for Florida’s Agency for Health Care Administration.

"Florida has vibrant agricultural economic potential. It also has the technology and the ability to lead the nation in the development of domestically produced energy sources", said Thorpe. "There is simply no excuse for the double digit unemployment levels that have plagued many parts of the state and I’m committed to fighting for a solution to this pervasive problem."

Villagers, wouldn't it be remarkable if the two leading candidates for the US Senate seat in Florida are both African Americans? Kendrick Meek announced his candidacy to run in the Democratic primaries for this seat. Now Marion Thorpe steps up to the challenge as well.

I imagine that Marion Thorpe will do better in his run than Alan Keyes did in his 2004 election beat-down from Barack Obama.

Alan Keyes was unable to blunt the enthusiasm for Obama. Will Thorpe blunt the enthusiasm that is bound to grow for Kendrick Meek?

11 comments:

The Urban Scientist said...

I don't know enough about either candiddate to say yeah or nay, but it is a great story to share.

Though I tend to vote democratic, I like the idea of a doctor participating in politics and adding some insight into this healthcare stuff.

I still can't beleive the first Black to run for statewide office.

June said...

I'll certainly give Thorpe my attention and consideration...

kid said...

I seen you over at myth debunker doing research like me.One of the blogs on his blogroll is Jews against Obama.They call the president the anti-Christ.While I can't say anything about Marion Thorpe yet, I can say the author of the article about him has a wing nut on his blogroll. While I have people on my blogroll that don't agree 100% with me,I don't have bigots that use Rev.Manning as a reliable source for information like Jews Against Obama does.

Brad Marston said...

We supported Dr. Thorpe in his run for Congress and will more than likely do the same in his Senate Run.

Monica Roberts said...

I'd rather have Rep. Kendrick Meek in that seat.

Unknown said...

Urban Scientist - I guess that Florida isn't as progressive when it comes to African Americans in its history. However, it is great to see that things may be changing if one or both of these candidates (Meeks or Thorpe).

June, Kid, Brad & Monica - Asante sana for taking time to share your village voice on this blog post. I wish both of the potential candidates well...

Anonymous said...

I think they said Thorpe would be the first Black Republican to run for a statewide office, not the first Black.

In any case, I've met him, goes by "Doc." Very nice guy, yet able to take criticism. Genuinely concerned about Florida and the people here. Also, he's from Miami-Dade, but knows the entire state pretty well (from his time on Jeb's staff as chief medical officer).

Couldn't ask for a better person to represent me -- Doc has my vote hands down.

Unknown said...

BlogginStuff - Thanx for sharing your insights into this potential candidate. I don't live in Florida, however, I am glad to see talented African Americans seeking public service. I hope that both Thorpe and Meek end up successful within their respective party...

Monica Roberts said...

If Marion Thorpe is an Edward Brooke republican, I could see supporting him. If he's a Kenneth Blackwell Republican, no fracking way.

Unknown said...

Monica - I don't live in Florida so I'm unsure of which end of the Republican spectrum you can find Dr. Thorpe. Hopefully some of our Florida-based villagers can help you.

I did want to say how much I enjoyed your timely use of frack in a sentence! :)

Monica Roberts said...

Villager,
I grew up in Texas, where Republican=racist and Black Republican=sellout.

Most Southern GOP orgs are organized on that model, so I'm highly skeptical of any Black person running under the GOP banner anywhere, especially in the Deep South until proven otherwise that they ARE down with us.