January 27, 2009

Am I Not Human? Torture on the Dark Side

The Electronic Village is pledged to post about human rights abuses as part of the 'Am I Not Human?' blog campaign on the 27th of each month. We want all concerned bloggers and blog readers to support this effort.

President Obama signed executive order to close Guantánamo Bay prison. This is a major victory in restoring our values and rehabilitating America’s image worldwide. However, there are many who think that much more needs to be done — so many wrongs that still need to be righted.

Alex Gibney’s Academy Award-winning documentary Taxi to the Dark Side showed in stark terms the impact of human rights abuse ... even if done in the name of the 'war on terror'. Perhaps it is time to demand accountability for all abuses committed by the Bush-Cheney administration in the 'war on terror.'

What say u? Have you watched the full documentary yet?

6 comments:

PurpleZoe said...

Peace Villager

We definitely need to demand accountability for the last administrations multiple attacks on human rights, war crimes, and spying against its own citizens.

Thankyou for this important reminder.

Shine on
-PZ

SoakingNKnowledge said...

I'm almost afraid to watch this documentary I'm already angry this might be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me...

Its hard for me to grasp how and why these things are happening and are allowed to even continue happening.

I thank you for always shedding light and exposing the ugly truths in hopes that we may all step up, take action, and restore our villages world wide.

One LOVE,
Marenda

SjP said...

Much obliged for this very important post. I have not seen the documentary yet - but certainly plan to do so, although I'm like Marenda a bit scared to do so. But, simply because something is out of sight does not mean that it should be out of mind or more imporatantly that it doesn't happen.

My post is now up entitled: Am I Not Human? Remember Darfur?.

Unknown said...

PZ - I don't think it is fair for only the frontline soldiers involved in these incidents of torture to be punished ... if they were operating with the consent and approval of higher level folks. As such, I think it is valid for Attorney General to investigate allegations of crimes by Cheney, Rumsfield or other high-level folks in Bush Administration.

Marenda & SjP - I look forward to visiting both of your entries with the month's meme. In the meantime I encourage you to watch (or at least LISTEN) to the video. It's not graphic...

Caroline Jaine said...

I don't need to watch the documentary. I have had a good look at the worst in my time. Continue as your are my friend, the tide is turning and we are riding the wave.
Nomadic x

Unknown said...

The thing is...they want Obama to pay. Not Bush and Cheney.