January 17, 2009

Kendrick Meek (D-Fl), Candidate for US Senate


I see where Rep. Kendrick Meek (D) has become the first candidate to officially declare for the seat being vacated by Republican Mel Martinez. I imagine that Rep. Meek is disappointed that Hillary Clinton isn't going to be our president.

Meek is a former state legislator and former captain in the Florida Highway Patrol. He won a House seat in 2002 that had long been held by his mother, Carrie Meek, and is starting his fourth term in Congress.

"Public service and a commitment to make a better life for the people of Florida has been my mission. I've given Florida a strong voice on the powerful House and Ways Means Committee and was appointed by the Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives to the House Leadership," said U.S. Senate candidate Kendrick Meek. "But never in my lifetime, have the people of Florida been faced with so many big problems. Our state needs bold leadership at every level, and it is why I've made the decision to run as a candidate for the United States Senate. This race is not about me--it is about Floridians. I am running for Florida, and I am asking Floridians to run with us in this race."

Although Meek rode the wrong pony in the Democratic presidential primary ... he appears to have found partnership with the incoming president as evidenced by the fact that Steve Hildebrand, Barack Obama's deputy national campaign manager will be Meek's top strategist for the U.S. Senate campaign.

I wish the young brother well in his campaign. It will be nice to see another African American face in the US Senate.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dr. Marion Thorpe will also run as a Republican. It could be tough for him simply getting past other GOP members but if the Republicans continue to be reactionary regarding race then they might get behind Thorpe to challenge Meek, thinking this is the year of the Black man and all you have to do is be Black.

Unknown said...

Symphony - I think that Alan Keyes learned that it ain't just about being Black. You have to bring something to the table. I'm going to do some looking into Marion Thorpe...

BamaBlogger said...

I don't think Gelber (the only serious contender to Meek) is a appealing to the majority of democrats throughout the state. I think we are going to see some big names come out quickly to endorse Meek and Gelber will be playing catch-up throughout the entire race.

I'd like to see Meek win this thing.

Monica Roberts said...

So would I.
We haven't had an African-American senator in congress from a Southern state since Reconstruction.

Unknown said...

Monica - Only six African American senators in the history of our nation. Two from Mississippi, three from Illinois and one from Massachusetts. It would be wonderful to see more talented African Americans running for office. I'm willing to excuse young Meek for his mistaken allegience to Hillary Clinton because I'm more interested in finding talented brothers and sisters to run and win Senate seats. We should all be grateful that Jeb Bush pulled out of consideration in Florida. He would have been a prohibitive favorite...

Unknown said...

BamaBlogger - I hope you're right. Have you followed Meek's career? Does he have what it takes to be a good senator for Florida?